This on-the-go DVD player is a portable powerhouse.
- Full of features, swivels to tablet format, great colour
- Thick, heavy, low screen resolution
If you can look past the form factor and the non-standard screen resolution, the SD-P91SKY is a powerful portable DVD player that will impress.
Price$ 329.00 (AUD)
Toshiba’s SD-P91SKY is a portable DVD player that does not have the resolution of more expensive units, but instead focuses on extra functionality.
With a dark brushed metal exterior and a few hints of chrome, the player is unobtrusive; we imagine it would quickly get hot if left in direct sunlight. It is significantly thicker than many other portable DVD players we have tested, but this is most likely thanks to a battery life of over five hours and extra support for popular video formats.
Despite its large size and above-average weight, the SD-P91SKY is very convenient for long or cramped car or train trips. This is thanks to the flip-around tablet form factor that means the screen can sit flush with the DVD drive, making it easy to place on a lap or even hold in one hand.
The 9in screen has a resolution of 640x220 — which is, oddly enough, not a standard widescreen ratio. As a result there are some scaling artefacts and jaggedness when watching DVDs. Thankfully, there is no ghosting and the colours are as good as we have seen on a portable unit. High contrast and a wide colour range combine in an image that always looks pleasant and vibrant. Sharpness is also acceptable with good levels of facial detail evident in our V for Vendetta test disc. The viewing angle is also good, with a full picture visible up to 45 degrees off-axis vertically and horizontally.
The in-built speakers are passable. Despite being treble-focused they are never scratchy or harsh, though the fact that volume levels are capped quite early may be annoying for some users.
The player has a simple set of controls on the bottom of the screen, though more can be accessed using the bundled remote. A wide range of connectors and inputs means that the SD-P91SKY can be used in many situations. Composite video along with two headphone jacks and a digital coaxial audio connector take care of output, while composite video/audio and a USB2.0 host port are the player’s inputs. The coaxial audio output can carry DTS and Dolby Digital so an external A/V receiver can decode them — though we cannot see the need for a full 5.1 surround setup with a portable player.
The USB interface is functional, if garish and ugly. It supports MP3, JPEG and DivX formats so an external hard drive full of media can be connected for especially tedious journeys.
If you are looking for a portable DVD player with USB functionality — but do not like the laptop-style form factor — have a look at the tablet-style SD-P91SKY.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- CCTest Analysts - MainframeACT
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)WA
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- CCPerformance Test AnalystQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW