- Good viewing angle, DivX support, great included headphones
- Poor inbuilt speakers, some dot pitch and contrast problems with the screen
A decent enough mid-range player, Toshiba's SD-P1900 boasts enough features and quality to be useful, although it lacks the video quality of higher end units.
Price$ 439.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Toshiba's SD-P1900 is a mid-range portable DVD player. It lacks the resolution and video quality of high-end models, but comes at a reasonable price and delivers a solid functionality, without any major flaws. Video quality is satisfactory, although the inbuilt speakers are slightly disappointing. Nevertheless, the P1900 is generally quite serviceable, and while it's not the highest quality portable DVD player available, it's a suitable mid-range unit.
The 9in 480x234 resolution screen delivers video that's generally clear and free from ghosting or undue image aberrations. Some problems with contrast and dot pitch, alongside the low resolution mean that the video quality isn't going to be stunning by any measure of the word, however it remains clear and viewable at all times. The viewing angle is respectable, and contrast issues only begin to become apparent at around 30 degrees to either side.
As with its higher end companion, the Toshiba SD-P2900, the P1900's audio quality is probably its biggest let-down. The inbuilt speakers are generally quite scratchy and have a very low volume capacity. Bass and treble have very little presence, although the mid-range generally does a decent job with dialogue. Fortunately, Toshiba has included a pair of headphones with the player; they perform much better than the inbuilt speakers, with a more developed bass range and clearer audio all around.
The shiny black and silver design, while attractive, is quite susceptible to fingerprints. Nevertheless, the entire unit is quite portable and lightweight, with a simple array of controls on the player itself, and a small, more complete remote included. AV input and output ports, two separate headphone jacks, and a connection for an AC power pack are located on the side of the player. Like the SD-P2900, the screen on the P1900 can be tilted, but not swivelled or rotated. With the respectable viewing angle, this isn't a major problem though.
Playable file types include MP3, WMA, JPEG and thankfully, DivX. Although far from extensive, this functionality definitely adds an extra layer to the P1900, allowing it to function as an all-round portable media player, and the DivX support makes carrying multiple movies on a single disc possible, reducing the number of DVDs that need to be lugged around with the player.
The player lasted for just over five hours in our tests, on a full battery charge, enough for about three regular length movies.
At its recommended retail price, the SD-P1900 is a decent enough product, perhaps a little on the expensive side, but with solid functionality. It might not boast high levels of quality, but it's a reliable DVD player, and worth considering for those in the market for a mid-range portable DVD unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows EngineerVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW