- Compact, easy to set up
- Limited volume levels, not the longest warranty
Toshiba's SD-63HK is a great solution for those looking for an easy, all-in-one home theatre kit, but its low volume makes it a best suited to a small room.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's SD63HK home theatre kit offers just about everything you need to set up your own home cinema (except a screen). The small system was designed by KOI and features four satellite speakers, a centre speaker, subwoofer and DVD player.
All the satellite speakers feature wall mounts and angled bases so they can be positioned on shelves or stands to beam the sound around a lounge room. The mounting slots are cut in such a way that the speakers can be fixed to walls vertically or horizontally.
Installation was a cinch. All of the cabling is colour-coded to match the corresponding speaker, so you don't have to worry about finding the right socket to connect things. The subwoofer features a bass level control and a line-in from the DVD player.
The DVD player itself is a classy number, including AM/FM radio, optical/coaxial audio in, and composite video inputs. It can also output to a massive range of destinations including SCART, S-Video, component, composite, and the audio out for the speakers. There's even a headphone connector at the rear of the unit. The DVD player features an angled, smoked mirror front, with brightly lit buttons and a large volume knob on the right. It looks great, but the brightness of the buttons (and lack of clear text identifying what they are for) made it difficult to use the machine in the dark. The remote control worked well, however.
The machine supports the standard array of media, including VideoCD, DVD and CD, and offers Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Surround sound.
The audio quality is surprisingly good considering the small size of the speakers, and the subwoofer offers plenty of punch for a small room. We tested the rig with a few DVDs and found it cut through background noise to offer clear sound, but the volume is limited; it's hardly capable of producing ear-splitting audio.
The one-year warranty is less than that offered by some of the competition, but otherwise the Toshiba package is comprehensive. It's quick to set up, offers good quality audio, and the small speakers are ideal if you don't have oodles of space.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Amazon won’t sell Apple TV and Chromecast hardware, bans marketplace partners from selling them, too
- Chromecast duo extends Google's reach further into the living room
- What's inside the new Apple TV? iFixit tears one apart to find out
- Yamaha unveils MusicCast, a high-fidelity multi-room audio system that will have 20-plus components by year's end
- Dr. Dre's Apple Music exclusive paid off
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW