- Compact, easy to set up
- Limited volume levels, not the longest warranty
Toshiba's SD-63HK is a great solution for those looking for an easy, all-in-one home theatre kit, but its low volume makes it a best suited to a small room.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Toshiba's SD63HK home theatre kit offers just about everything you need to set up your own home cinema (except a screen). The small system was designed by KOI and features four satellite speakers, a centre speaker, subwoofer and DVD player.
All the satellite speakers feature wall mounts and angled bases so they can be positioned on shelves or stands to beam the sound around a lounge room. The mounting slots are cut in such a way that the speakers can be fixed to walls vertically or horizontally.
Installation was a cinch. All of the cabling is colour-coded to match the corresponding speaker, so you don't have to worry about finding the right socket to connect things. The subwoofer features a bass level control and a line-in from the DVD player.
The DVD player itself is a classy number, including AM/FM radio, optical/coaxial audio in, and composite video inputs. It can also output to a massive range of destinations including SCART, S-Video, component, composite, and the audio out for the speakers. There's even a headphone connector at the rear of the unit. The DVD player features an angled, smoked mirror front, with brightly lit buttons and a large volume knob on the right. It looks great, but the brightness of the buttons (and lack of clear text identifying what they are for) made it difficult to use the machine in the dark. The remote control worked well, however.
The machine supports the standard array of media, including VideoCD, DVD and CD, and offers Dolby Pro Logic and DTS Surround sound.
The audio quality is surprisingly good considering the small size of the speakers, and the subwoofer offers plenty of punch for a small room. We tested the rig with a few DVDs and found it cut through background noise to offer clear sound, but the volume is limited; it's hardly capable of producing ear-splitting audio.
The one-year warranty is less than that offered by some of the competition, but otherwise the Toshiba package is comprehensive. It's quick to set up, offers good quality audio, and the small speakers are ideal if you don't have oodles of space.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Specialist EmailACT
- FTRelease Planning LeadVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- FTHadoop Operation EngineerNSW
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCTechnical WriterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- FTImplementation / Deployment Specialist- Web Sphere, ESB, IIBNSW
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD