- Excellent picture quality, well-designed UI, very good music and picture player
- No DivX support
A combo device that goes beyond the minimum requirements to get ticks in the specifications table. Toshiba has put together a high-quality device.
Price$ 329.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Toshiba's six-head VHS and DVD player combo may not have many frills, but really delivers in terms of quality. It's easy to use, well designed and comes with an excellent instruction manual. The remote is comfortable and responsive, although a lot of the buttons are a shade too small, and I can imagine many nights of squinting at the micro-text on the remote, trying to find the button you're looking for.
What really sets this device apart is its on-screen and recording picture fidelity. It tuned and displayed TV signals perfectly, and the recording onto VHS was very nearly as good as the live TV. That's saying something. The DVD display, especially through the component output was equally impressive. The registration and definition on screen is as good as we've seen.
The SD-34VLSY supports the now standard array of inputs and outputs. It has an RF loop-through, composite (RCA) output, component for progressive scan display as well as S-Video output (for DVD only, however) and digital output via coax or optical cable. It has one AV input in the rear, and another up front.
Unlike some other vendors, Toshiba has not skimped on the MP3 playback code. The MP3 playback system is simple but very effective. You can switch on random play at the touch of a button, it supports MP3s and Windows Audio recorded on DVD and the audio output is outstanding--about as good as MP3 playback gets. It's not an overly complicated system, but it works just they way you want it to.
The JPG viewer is similarly well designed, aside from the fact that you can't zoom images. The quality of the still images on-screen is excellent, with minimal flicker, and navigating through your image collection is very straightforward. There's even a thumbnail view of the currently selected image, so you can quickly find the photo you're looking for.
We found ourselves quite taken with the Toshiba SD-34VLSY. It has a lot of qualities of the sort that don't show up in the spec sheet, but really make a difference when you're using it. If you don't require a DVD recorder or DivX playback, we highly recommend it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCProject Manager - open source softwareACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - GeneralVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- FTTest AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC