- Excellent picture quality, well-designed UI, very good music and picture player
- No DivX support
A combo device that goes beyond the minimum requirements to get ticks in the specifications table. Toshiba has put together a high-quality device.
Price$ 329.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's six-head VHS and DVD player combo may not have many frills, but really delivers in terms of quality. It's easy to use, well designed and comes with an excellent instruction manual. The remote is comfortable and responsive, although a lot of the buttons are a shade too small, and I can imagine many nights of squinting at the micro-text on the remote, trying to find the button you're looking for.
What really sets this device apart is its on-screen and recording picture fidelity. It tuned and displayed TV signals perfectly, and the recording onto VHS was very nearly as good as the live TV. That's saying something. The DVD display, especially through the component output was equally impressive. The registration and definition on screen is as good as we've seen.
The SD-34VLSY supports the now standard array of inputs and outputs. It has an RF loop-through, composite (RCA) output, component for progressive scan display as well as S-Video output (for DVD only, however) and digital output via coax or optical cable. It has one AV input in the rear, and another up front.
Unlike some other vendors, Toshiba has not skimped on the MP3 playback code. The MP3 playback system is simple but very effective. You can switch on random play at the touch of a button, it supports MP3s and Windows Audio recorded on DVD and the audio output is outstanding--about as good as MP3 playback gets. It's not an overly complicated system, but it works just they way you want it to.
The JPG viewer is similarly well designed, aside from the fact that you can't zoom images. The quality of the still images on-screen is excellent, with minimal flicker, and navigating through your image collection is very straightforward. There's even a thumbnail view of the currently selected image, so you can quickly find the photo you're looking for.
We found ourselves quite taken with the Toshiba SD-34VLSY. It has a lot of qualities of the sort that don't show up in the spec sheet, but really make a difference when you're using it. If you don't require a DVD recorder or DivX playback, we highly recommend it.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 2 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 3 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 4 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 5 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- Google eyes remote content controls for parents in YouTube Kids app
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTQA LeadNSW
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- CCExecutive SupportWA
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)QLD
- FTSAP Logistics ConsultantNSW
- FTHR Application Architect - WorkdayVIC
- CCTest Manager OfficeACT
- FTIT Security Team LeadNSW
- FTNetwork Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- CCDevelopment Lead - Java - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Change Analyst/ Change ManagerNSW
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTSCOM AdministratorACT
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!SA
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectSA
- FTDocumentation AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk Operations AnalystNSW
- CCChange AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW