Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S)
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) laptop is fast and portable. It is also very pink.
- Fast, portable, plenty of expansion ports
- Sakura Pink colour scheme won't appeal to everyone
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) is a fast and portable notebook that has lots of expansion ports, but its Sakura Pink colour scheme draws a lot of attention. However, if you want a good 13.3in laptop and you don't mind the bright pink chassis, it is definitely worth considering.
Price$ 1,999.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) is a fast and portable 13.3in laptop. It also has a bright pink chassis. While we aren't fans of the notebook's colour, people looking for a design that stands out may enjoy it.
We're used to seeing brands like HP experimenting with fresh notebook art and colours in laptops like the HP Vivienne Tam Special Edition Notebook PC, but the most of Toshiba's notebook designs tend to be businesslike.
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) laptop throws boardroom sensibilities out the window with what the company calls a Sakura Pink colour scheme. While it uses the same chassis and has similar specifications to the older Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM80A-03H009), this bright pink notebook will raise eyebrows in any workplace — just as it did here.
Most of the PC World staff found the colour scheme to be gaudy, but it'll boil down to your personal preferences and whether or not you enjoy being the centre of attention. Every time we left this laptop out in the open, passers-by would stop to comment on it. If you're a business user that wants a laptop that doesn't stick out of the crowd like a sore thumb, Toshiba also offers a pale grey version.
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) is easy to carry round; it measures 314(L)x230(W)x28(H)mm and weighs 2kg. The 13.3in screen with its native resolution of 1280x800 is large enough to work on but small enough to make transporting the notebook simple.
Laptops in Toshiba's M800 line-up are usually excellent, with both the Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM80A-01900P) and the Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM80A-03H009) receiving four out of five stars when reviewed.
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) doesn't let the team down, using an 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a 320GB hard drive that spins at 5400rpm to provide excellent speed. Although the default 32-bit Windows Vista operating system doesn't support more than 3GB of RAM, Toshiba has included the 64-bit version of the OS on the recovery partition, which can use the full 4GB of RAM.
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S)'s speed was shown in our WorldBench 6 test score of 93, which indicates an ability to perform basic office tasks and image editing with ease. Even hardware-intensive tasks, such as transcoding video files, are easy to do. The CPU's strength was demonstrated by our iTunes MP3 encoding test, which converts 53min of WAV files into MP3 files. The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) laptop completed the task in 1min 13sec, which is an excellent time. The notebook completed its Blender 3D image rendering test in just 1min 14sec.
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) notebook uses a mobile Intel GMA 4500M integrated graphics card. Unfortunately its performance is underwhelming, as shown by our 3DMark06 test score of 1019. This means that older games like Half Life 2 will run slowly and modern games like Fallout 3 won't stand a chance.
Integrated Bluetooth 2.1 and 802.11b/g/n wireless connectivity are provided, and there is also a Gigabit Ethernet port for wired networking.
The Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) has three USB 2.0 Sleep-and-Charge ports that can charge USB-connected devices even if laptop is switched off. One of these USB ports doubles as an eSATA port. An ExpressCards/54 slot is provided, as is a 5-in-1 card reader (SD, MS, MSPro, MMC, xD) — which is good news if you take lots of photos and want to use the laptop to store them. A DVD-RW drive sits on the right side of the laptop.
In our DVD rundown test, the Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) lasted 1hr 34min, which is about average for a notebook this size.
If you don't mind the extra attention and love pink, the Toshiba Portege M800 (PPM81A-08S01S) is a solid performer that is worth a look.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Early Android app support rolls out to two more Chromebooks
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Alienware's tiny Alpha gaming PC gets bigger muscles... in the US
- Why Apple's new MacBook Pro needs more than just one USB-C port
- Asus ROG teases a massive gaming notebook that outperforms Titan X
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Automation Engineer / TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerWA
- CCSenior Business Process AnalystNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW