- Great 1080p/24Hz high-definition playback, excellent DVD upscaling, attractive slimline design, very affordable
- Lacks advanced audio features, slight lag when navigating HD-DVDs
The HD-EP10 from Toshiba is the most affordable HD-DVD player capable of 1080p playback on the market, and is an excellent option for those looking for an inexpensive way to experience HD-DVD.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Toshiba's HD-EP10 is a mid-range HD-DVD player. Although it includes several features above and beyond what the HD-E1 HD-DVD Player offers, it doesn't include the full bevy of options that the flagship model, the HD-XE1 HD-DVD Player does. Nevertheless, it represents an attractive choice for users looking for a HD-DVD player, being one of the most affordable units capable of a full 1080p output on the market.
HD-DVD playback is excellent, and unlike its less expensive cousin, the HD-E1 HD-DVD Player, the EP10 delivers full, 1080p/24Hz high-definition video. The quality is excellent, and the support for 1080p (the HD-E1 only supports a maximum resolution of 1080i) is a noticeable and welcome upgrade. As with most early high-definition players, there's a slight lag when navigating high-definition movies, which is generally only an issue when attempting to skip multiple chapters at once. However, HD-DVD's pop-up menu makes this an often unnecessary process.
The DVD upscaling is excellent, and again resolutions up to 1080p are supported. As with the HD-XE1 HD-DVD Player, upscaling is excellent, and adds much needed levels of detail to DVD movies, especially on larger flatscreens. During testing we didn't notice any undue artefacts or scaling problems, and there was an overall improvement in picture sharpness and detail which will allow users with large DVD collections to continue to enjoy them on high-definition displays.
Audio on the EP10 should satisfy the large majority of users, with support for all the major surround sound formats, including Dolby True HD and dts-HD, although the latter is supported only at a limited bit rate. Unfortunately, these formats are only supported at 5.1, so users with 6.1 or 7.1 systems won't be able to use them to their full extent.
The HD-EP10's design is quite attractive, with a slimline build and neon backlighting on the front panel. The rear panel houses a standard array of connection options, including HDMI and Ethernet, but coaxial audio and analogue 5.1 connections aren't included, which isn't a major omission. The remote is lightweight and well laid out, making it easy to operate the inbuilt menu system, which is similarly well designed.
Overall, the HD-EP10 could quite easily be considered the entry-level HD-DVD player, due to it being the most affordable player capable of 1080p playback and covers the fundamentals of HD-DVD playback exceptionally well. Although it lacks some advanced audio features, it's nevertheless a very impressive player, and a great option for those looking for an entry into the world of HD-DVD.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
- The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
- Plex embraces Kodi as Plex Media Player becomes available to all
- 'Google Cast' is being phased out in favor of Chromecast for connected TVs and speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCTechnical Project ManagerNSW
- FTSDLC CoordinatorACT
- FTMS Exchange System Engineer l PowerShell l Message LabsNSW
- FTTSM SpecialistNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Cisco ISEVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTLinux EngineerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - DataQLD
- CCBusiness Analyst Finance & Lending - Brisbane Based RoleNSW
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- CCPerformance TesterACT
- TPSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTLife/400 Testers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant/Systems AnalystQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork Security Specialist - Palo Alto Firewall ExpertVIC
- TPProjects Planning ManagerQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA