- Supports 720p natively, slick design, high contrast ratio
- Sound lacks bass, no HDMI input
Toshiba's 27WL55A has good image reproduction and easy configuration; it comes at a reasonable price, too.
Price$ 2,699.00 (AUD)
Sporting one of the highest contrast ratios available with LCD technology, Toshiba's 27" 27WL55A LCD TV produces high quality imagery at its native resolution of 720p--although the picture quality does suffer from some inherent graininess.
There is a sensible simplicity to the design of this display. The 27WL55A comes in a grey finish, with a speaker grille below the screen. The internal speakers support SRS WOW surround sound, but even with DVD audio the default sound settings were clearest.
Connections for audio input and output, as well as a variety of video inputs are located on the side of the panel. There is also a VGA/RGB input on the back alongside the aerial input. Surprisingly, Toshiba has not included a HDMI input, a feature which is becoming more prominent in HDTV capable TV's.
Setting up the monitor was a simple process. Configuration was completely automated and we needed little help from the manual. The channel tuning menu system is self-explanatory, and it should be able to tune into channels with out any user input, although there is a manual tuning option if needed.
Hitting the 'menu' button on the remote accesses a set of extended options, which include picture format, picture position, quality adjustment (MPEG noise reduction and digital noise reduction), colour temperature, sound adjustment and teletext options. A separate setting called 'PC setting' can be found in the menu system, and it allows adjustments for computer signals.
The image quality when watching a HDTV signal was clear and well defined. The amount of noise in the image was significant, although enabling features such as MPEG noise reduction and digital noise reduction helped to reduce graininess. The viewing angle was consistent, with little change in contrast or colour from a variety of angles.
This is one of the few screens on which we have been able to run a native 720p image without the image being scaled. When watching a digital TV signal from a HDTV set top box or DVD, the high resolution 720p imagery really shined.
The sound quality through the 10W internal speakers was average. Clear mid-high frequencies were accompanied by weak bass. Sound adjustments, accessed through the tiered menu system, were helpful in compensating for this imbalance.
Overall, the Toshiba 27WL55A provided a good user experience during our tests. Sharp, well-defined images and easy configuration make this one of the better sets available. It's also competitively priced for a 27" LCD TV.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCPerformance AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security/Admin.) 161014/SA/253Asia
- CCJunior Programmer (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 161017/JP/221Asia
- CCL1 Desktop Support - 3 days a weekNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCSystems Engineer - NetApp, Exchange, ADNSW
- CCHead of Digital (Technology Manager - Digital Transformations)NSW
- CCSystem & Network EngineerVIC
- CCOracle SOA DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness Process Specialist/AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service Desk AnalystVIC
- CCWindows EngineerACT
- CCSenior Java Analyst Programmer - Front Office TradingNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Web Programming) 161013/AP/185Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/Web) 161014/SA/922Asia
- FTSOE ConsultantACT
- FTIncident & Problem AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclipse) 161007/AP/vmpAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Web) 161011/AP/145Asia
- FTDirector Data AnalyticsACT
- CCProject SchedulerVIC