TOPCOM WebT@lker 5000
- Ease-of-use and setup, large buttons, flip up colour display, built for Skype, good call quality, easy software update
- Incompatible with other VoIP programs/services, plastic casing
The Webt@lker 5000 is a convenient, easy-to-use desktop telephone that incorporates Skype. It doesn't work with other VoIP services, but if you're an avid Skype user, there is plenty to like about this handset.
Price$ 263.00 (AUD)
The TOPCOM Webt@lker 5000 is a corded desktop phone that connects to Skype without the need for a PC. Featuring a flip-up colour display, a large keypad and echo cancellation technology, the Webt@lker 5000 is an excellent, easy-to-use VoIP phone.
Essentially, the Webt@lker is just like any other VoIP phone, but it is configured and built specifically for Skype. Unfortunately, this means it won't work with any other VoIP client, nor does it double as a standard landline telephone. The positives outweigh the negatives though, and what's left is an excellent device for Skype users.
The best feature of the Webt@lker is its 2.4in flip up, colour display. Its brightness and clarity is excellent, and it can be adjusted at various angles. It displays plenty of relevant information including time, date, available Skype credit and Skype contacts. As it's fully integrated with Skype, you can change your Skype status, add contacts, and access Voicemail - all through the phone itself.
The outer casing of the phone is a matte black and silver plastic, and although it's not an ugly device by any means, the plastic doesn't look or feel as solid as it should. The large keypad and buttons are a highlight though; they are easy to press and comfortable when entering any other information, such as passwords and usernames.
Ease-of-use and setup is notable. Simply plug the phone into your router using the included Ethernet cable and connect to AC power and the Webt@lker is ready to use. Conveniently, TOPCOM includes AC power jacks for all continents in the sales package.
Voice quality is excellent. Calls were crisp and clear and our callers didn't complain of any echo or distortion - both regular complaints with the Skype service. The hands-free speakerphone was also loud and clear and conveniently activates automatically if you don't lift the handset. Do keep in mind though that the quality of Skype calls depends on the quality of your Internet connection and service.
For SkypeIn calls, the Webt@lker has three ringtones to choose from, but none of them are traditional ring styles. The volume is fairly loud at its highest setting and the handset also boasts keypad and notification tones - both of which can be turned off. An excellent feature is the software update; simply select it from the main menu and any new software or firmware is automatically downloaded and updated on the handset.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
- iiNet unveils Social Post at Perth Arena
- Telstra officially launches its national Wi-Fi network
- Vulnerability found in Samsung smartphone keyboard
- WeMo Maker to allow for DIY IoT projects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW