Topaz Labs Adjust
Topaz Adjust offers a quick way to make images more dynamic, by manipulating their exposure, contrast and saturation.
- Excellent preset system, adaptive exposure and saturation sliders for greater effect
- No CMYK, more dramatic effects bring out image noise, Photoshop’s Adjustment panel offers many of the same effects
Topaz Adjust doesn’t offer any creative tools that Photoshop CS4 doesn’t already have, but its swift workflow and more complete preset system allow users to swiftly make their photos ‘pop’.
Price$ 99.99 (AUD)
Note: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Topaz Adjust offers a quick way to make images more dynamic, by manipulating their exposure, contrast and saturation. It doesn’t offer any creative tools that Photoshop CS4 doesn’t already have, but its swift workflow and more complete preset system allow users to swiftly make their photos ‘pop’.
Topaz Adjust has controls spread across five tabs: Presets, Exposure, Details, Colour and Noise. The Presets are the key to Adjust’s usefulness, offering adjustments from the simple Exposure Correction and Mild Color Pop to the dramatic Spicify (see below) and the over-the-top Psychedelic. You can also create your own.
From here, you can tweak exposure, saturation, hue, contrast, brightness, and levels of detail. Exposure and saturation are what Topaz Labs calls ‘adaptive’: the plug-ins divides the image into a number of regions that you select, then adjusts each for more contrast in each effect. You can also work from scratch, ignoring the presets.
Photoshop includes the Adjustment controls to achieve similar effects – though without ‘adaptive’ exposure and saturation. In CS4, Adobe made these controls easier to use through the Adjustments panel. But presets in Photoshop are for individual Adjustments, while Topaz Adjust’s combine parameters.
This means it’s quick to select a preset and then modify settings. Having to enter and work within the Topaz Adjust dialog box is slower than moving sliders in the Adjustment panel, but it works as a Smart Filter and in 16-bit modes (but not CMYK).
The presets make it easier to create dramatic images, though noise can be a problem. The Noise tab accesses noise-reduction technology to reduce this, but it’s not always enough.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft Store has slashed the Asus ZenBook Flip's price by $200
- Zenimax wants to block Oculus Rift headset sales, Gear VR games
- Cerise Circular review: This Mac Pro wannabe gets sidetracked by gaming
- Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- FTEnterprise Account ManagerNSW
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC