Tivoli Audio PAL portable radio
This portable radio may be expensive, but it sounds great
- Great tuner, good sound quality and precise adjustment
The Tivoli Audio PAL is a portable radio that has a great tuner, a weather-resistant shell and good sound quality. Designed for audiophiles on the go, it fills a very specific niche in the market.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Tivoli Audio PAL is a portable AM/FM radio with an auxiliary input for connecting a portable media player. It's expensive, but if you've got a few dollars to spare and are looking for a Christmas present for an audiophile pal, give this radio some thought.
It's a weatherproof radio, so it's a good choice for a picnic or beach visit, and the sound is clear and musical.
The Tivoli Audio PAL has a similar design and control scheme to the Model One. A single full-range, 2.5in speaker driver sits at the bottom of the cabinet, accompanied by a volume control, AM/FM switch and geared tuning dial. Our test unit came in a rubberised matte blue finish but the PAL is available in a wide variety of colours, ranging from chrome to pink to lime green.
The Tivoli Audio PAL is weather-sealed, and its 16 hour battery life means it will survive an extra-long picnic lunch at the beach. It's well constructed and sturdy, so we think it will stand up to a bit of rough treatment if necessary. The rear connectors — a DC power jack, headphone port and line in — are surrounded by rubber caps to guarantee protection from the elements.
Once tuned into a station, FM radio is utterly static- and distortion-free. It's some of the clearest FM reception we've heard.
Sound quality is a step down from the Model One, but that's to be expected given the portable nature of the Tivoli Audio PAL. The 2.5in driver handles mid-range notes wonderfully, with great detail audible at moderate volume levels. Treble is also clear, but there's an early roll-off in higher frequencies that can sometimes leave audio feeling muffled. There's a very small amount of mid-bass accompaniment at higher volume levels — this adds a warm, room-filling element to the Tivoli Audio PAL's sound. Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Cognos/JAVA/J2EE) 160831/SA/122Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Support - iPAD, iPhone, Apple devicesNSW
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT