Tivoli Audio PAL portable radio
This portable radio may be expensive, but it sounds great
- Great tuner, good sound quality and precise adjustment
The Tivoli Audio PAL is a portable radio that has a great tuner, a weather-resistant shell and good sound quality. Designed for audiophiles on the go, it fills a very specific niche in the market.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Tivoli Audio PAL is a portable AM/FM radio with an auxiliary input for connecting a portable media player. It's expensive, but if you've got a few dollars to spare and are looking for a Christmas present for an audiophile pal, give this radio some thought.
It's a weatherproof radio, so it's a good choice for a picnic or beach visit, and the sound is clear and musical.
The Tivoli Audio PAL has a similar design and control scheme to the Model One. A single full-range, 2.5in speaker driver sits at the bottom of the cabinet, accompanied by a volume control, AM/FM switch and geared tuning dial. Our test unit came in a rubberised matte blue finish but the PAL is available in a wide variety of colours, ranging from chrome to pink to lime green.
The Tivoli Audio PAL is weather-sealed, and its 16 hour battery life means it will survive an extra-long picnic lunch at the beach. It's well constructed and sturdy, so we think it will stand up to a bit of rough treatment if necessary. The rear connectors — a DC power jack, headphone port and line in — are surrounded by rubber caps to guarantee protection from the elements.
Once tuned into a station, FM radio is utterly static- and distortion-free. It's some of the clearest FM reception we've heard.
Sound quality is a step down from the Model One, but that's to be expected given the portable nature of the Tivoli Audio PAL. The 2.5in driver handles mid-range notes wonderfully, with great detail audible at moderate volume levels. Treble is also clear, but there's an early roll-off in higher frequencies that can sometimes leave audio feeling muffled. There's a very small amount of mid-bass accompaniment at higher volume levels — this adds a warm, room-filling element to the Tivoli Audio PAL's sound. Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
- The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
- Plex embraces Kodi as Plex Media Player becomes available to all
- 'Google Cast' is being phased out in favor of Chromecast for connected TVs and speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- CCData Modeller and Business Analyst - Integration ProjectQLD
- FTNational Manager of Security - We are looking for a strong Leader - Syd CBDNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTTest Analyst - HealthcareVIC
- CCProgram Support OfficerNSW
- FTTechnology Testing Services ManagerQLD
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTCloud Orchestration SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Front End Web DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Project Manager IntegrationNSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTSystems AnalystSA
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- CCWeb Architect - Ruby, Python, Java, Open sourceNSW
- CCMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - APS 6 non-ongoingACT
- FTBusiness Solutions SpecialistNSW
- TPTest ManagerQLD
- TPProjects Planning ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - CRMVIC
- TPChange AnalystQLD