WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010
There's a lot to like about Smackdown 10
- Same great wrestling action, community sharing makes creating characters a breeze
- Wrestling legends are horribly under-represented
SSmackdown vs. Raw 2010 has managed to stay fresh and appealing by authentically recreating the WWE experience and providing a bevy of tools to support user generated content and community.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
The Smackdown vs Raw franchise is quickly becoming the Madden of pro wrestling. With a yearly release cycle and a juggernaut reputation, it's on its way towards establishing itself as the premier video game wrestling series. But rather than coasting on its own momentum, the way some past Madden titles have, Smackdown vs Raw 2010 continues to up the ante with more of everything fans love about the series and then some.
THQ's Smackdown vs. Raw series has become a staple video game sports franchise, garnering an extensive fanbase of rabid pro wrestling diehards. But that diehard following comes with a price: namely, pull-no-punches criticism when things go awry. Fortunately this year's iteration has much to offer where user generated content, creativity, and sharing takes center stage and it's sure to please franchise fanatics who want another excuse to climb into the ring.
In this corner...
The most touted addition to the franchise is the new Story Designer mode which allows you to create your own ongoing drama filled episodes of WWE programming. At your disposal are a multitude of options for crafting the perfect episode of Monday Night RAW, from scripting the opening promo to setting up a sneak attack on a superstar to soften them up for their upcoming bout. You can use created wrestlers as well and it's satisfying to take virtual versions of your friends and put them through the WWE soap opera wringer. This is the sort of depth the series needs and will increase the longevity of the game exponentially
Create a wrestler is as robust as ever while creations can now be shared online for download, something inept face morphing artists like myself have longed for. With the community sharing feature, I can just download the best Jake "The Snake" Roberts and "Ravishing" Rick Rude models instead of painstakingly creating my own.
And it's a good thing they streamlined the sharing feature because it's painfully obvious that THQ is shuttling the vast majority of pro wrestling legends to the Legends of Wrestlemania series. Outside of a small handful of exceptions, this year's roster is made entirely of current WWE competitors. I understand the decision-they want to keep it focused on the current roster-but I'm sure the old school fanbase will complain.
Still, there's a lot to like about Smackdown 10. The fantastic Road to Wrestlemania mode, for instance, is back, once again allowing you to play through unique stories for popular WWE personalities and your own created wrestler. This year's version is even better than last year's as the story arcs and writing are exactly on par with, or better than, what you'd see on an actual episode of Monday Night Raw. Voice acting, which once sounded tinny and painfully obvious it was recorded in studio is better than ever. Extra special props to Edge for turning in a performance fit for a king; his "girlfriend voice" is laugh-out-loud funny.
Whatcha Gonna Do?
SSmackdown vs. Raw 2010 has managed to stay fresh and appealing by authentically recreating the WWE experience and providing a bevy of tools to support user generated content and community. It doesn't reinvent the wheel with new gameplay mechanics or revamped graphics, but WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 excels once again as the definitive pro wrestling game on the market. Fans of the series and pro wrestling alike should definitely put it in their queues.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- CCAzure Architect/ConsultantVIC
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCWeb Ops EngineerACT
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTPrincipal Architect - Infrastructure | Major BankVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Solution ArchitectSA