THQ Age of Empires: Mythologies
So how do you spice up a turn-based strategy game previously based on classical figures and historical battles?
- Its depth creates longevity, the graphics look good, great presentation
- It feels too similar to the previous title, long battles get repetitious
Age of Empire fans beware: while this game is certainly the best in the series, it also closely resembles the previous iteration, making it feel less like a history lesson and more like deja vu. Age of Empires: Mythologies is the latest instalment in the DS's Age of Empires games, following up the entertaining and well-received AOE: The Age of Kings. And while there are a number of differences between these two titles, on the whole this game is pretty similar to its predecessor, which is both a blessing and a curse.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
So how do you spice up a turn-based strategy game previously based on classical figures and historical battles? According to THQ, you add mythological monsters and make the battles more fictitious, because if there's one thing school has taught us, it's that "history" and "facts" are not fun.
The Age of Empires Strikes Back
Like Age of Kings, Mythologies is a fairly deep strategy title, with a wide array of unit and terrain types, distinct monsters and enemies, and diverse technologies to research. It also successfully utilises the DS's unique control schemes, making for a very sound and well-conceived presentation. In addition, Mythologies' graphics have been noticeably improved upon, making this the Age of Empires title to own if you haven't played the previous iteration.
The Gods Are Angry
However, if you are fairly familiar with the first title, there are a few things about this game that might give you pause. For one, with the gameplay being as similar as it is to Age of Kings, the addition of the Mythological characters and god powers needed to create enough original content to keep the series fresh and interesting. Unfortunately, these additions don't completely deliver. The effectiveness of the new god powers is often difficult to immediately see, making their use infrequent at best. And the new myth units don't feel all that much different from the regular mortal units. Players may also find that the larger scale battles tend to drag and feel repetitive, especially when they can see that the battle has already been decided in their favour, but they still have to go through the formality of killing every opposing unit on the map. That being said, if you haven't yet played an Age of Empires title on the DS, Mythologies is without question the most competent turn-based strategy game available for the console, and if you're a fan of mythology, all the better.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP BW ConsultantACT
- TPDigital Process Business Analyst - Digital Transformation**NSW
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- CCIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXQLD
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- FTTechnology Testing Co-ordinatorVIC
- TPChange and Communications CoordinatorQLD