App review: 2013 Australian Open for Android
The official Australian Open tennis app for 2013 includes live video streaming in addition to scores and stats
- Straightforward UI
- Detailed and efficient
- Live Coverage
- No player filter for results
For fans of tennis and the Australian Open, owning this app is a no-brainer. It is free for iOS and Android, and provides real-time information on the tournament. As a bonus, it offers Live Coverage on-the-go, which is unmetered for Optus customers.
The 2013 Australian Open app not only provides real-time information on scores, schedules, news, and players, there is also a Live Coverage feature that allows you to stream matches live on your phone. You'll never have to miss another Sharapova grunt again!
As a sports fanatic, I have played with a ridiculous number of apps in search of finding favourites. To date, the 2013 Australian Open app has proven to be one of the more efficient and informative guides I've seen. The app is able to deliver all necessary information regarding the tennis tournament through a well-designed, simple, and functional user interface.
The app’s home page is organised. Rather than flooding you with a number of news links to recent events and outcomes, like seen in many other sports apps, you are greeted with an image of some tennis stars, which sits above a series of tabs that break up all of the apps features.
Live Coverage sits at the top of this list, and overall, works like a gem. While the quality of the stream is not jaw-dropping in the least, it is sufficient. Besides, the lower quality can help with conserving data usage, although if you are with Optus then the streaming will be free on your mobile.
Beneath Live Coverage lie the following features: Scores, Draws, Schedule, News, Players, AO Radio Live, Event Guide, Video Gallery, Photos, and Shop. It is all straightforward.
The Scores, Draws, Schedule, and Players sections have the same layout. The bulk of the screen features the selected information; at the top sits a filter which, for example, allows you to view a certain round of the tournament, or to see the men’s singles outcomes only. Unfortunately, there is no way to filter Scores, Draws, or Schedule by player. The other tabs are categorised and equally simple to use.
For fans wanting to get involved, the AO Radio Live segment allows users to submit questions to the commentary booth while listening to the matches that are in progress.
2013 Australian Open also caters for those heading to Melbourne Park, with ticketing, stadium, venue, and other information all provided by the Event Guide.
Developer: Tennis Australia
Reviewed on: Samsung Galaxy Note II
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- Plex's new universal Windows app powers up media playback with key Windows 10 features
- Steam's mobile app finally lands on Windows Phones
- Google Fit is getting a visual overhaul with new widget and Android Wear faces
- Facebook, Google dominate list of top 15 mobile apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW