Telstra Corporation Movies
- Excellent selection, easy to use interface, outstanding DVD turnaround
- Pricing could be better
BigPond movies is easily the best online DVD rental service beating out its competition in spades.
Price$ None (AUD)
Usually when someone like Telstra BigPond moves into a field that is dominated by well established competition, you expect their services to be below-par. When BigPond entered the online DVD rental market in this country it was up against some stiff competition. At first, they faltered a little with poor disc packing which resulted in an exorbitant number of discs being near-destroyed in transit. Back then, it was common for their DVDs to fail during playback resulting in many disappointed customers returning their films without seeing the ending.
Thankfully, times have changed and BigPond has learned from its mistakes. Not only do the DVDs now come in a protective sleeve but the delivery of those DVDs is rapid with an unmatched turnaround of only 2 days from the time a DVD is sent back and the time a new disc is received. This, above all else, was the most impressive thing we noticed when we did our comparative roundup of Australian online DVD rental services in April 2006.
BigPond movies has over 18,000 titles in their catalogue supported by an intuitive website that makes searching for DVDs a breeze. Grouped via genre, top 10, most popular, coming soon and the like, the site makes compiling a list of desired titles extremely easy. All a user needs to do is make a list of DVDs they wish to see and, according to the plan they are on, up to 4 DVDs will be sent to them at a time.
In our testing we made a list of 15 titles and signed up for a trial account. BigPond has the best trial on the market with a full month of free DVDs. Within 2 days of making our list we received our first batch of DVDs. We sent them back that day and two days later we received 4 more. The DVDs in our list were broken into 10 new and recent releases and 5 older titles. Of the 12 DVDs we received in the first two weeks of the trial, only 2 were older titles.
As far as pricing goes BigPond Movies is about the same as their competitor, Quickflix. However, BigPond members get huge discounts on the service making it the cheapest service available. Since not everyone is a BigPond member, we have taken their standard rates as gospel and used them as the basis of our scoring and comparisons.
BigPond's customer service and notification policy is based on minimal contact, which we quite appreciated. The only email we received from them was one single email per shipment informing us they had received our DVDs and what titles they were sending out. This was refreshing considering the numerous emails we received from the other two carriers.
Overall, BigPond is easily the best online DVD rental service in this country and should be seriously considered for people who love movies. Their one month trial is more than enough time to discover whether the service is for you and cancelling the service in the event that you are not interested is completely painless.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPSenior .NET Developer (Angular or React)NSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSAP ABAP Technical specialistACT
- FTProject Manager - Data MigrationNSW
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FTLevel 3 Application Support AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- FTSharepoint Support AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - RANVIC
- FTL&D Consultant, Wealth AdvisorNSW
- FTOracle E-Business Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectNSW
- TPSenior .Net DeveloperQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT HealthcareQLD
- FTSystem Administrator App-VACT
- FTSecurity ConsultantQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer (IPS & Firewall exp essential) - Perm - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTDigital ProducerNSW
- FTICT Contract AnalystWA
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD