Telstra Corporation F852
- Reasonable features list, memory card slot, full access to Next G content and services, solid user interface
- Internal display not great, proprietary headphone jack, flat keypad, no A2DP Bluetooth
The F852 is a solid but far from outstanding option. Its appeal lies in the fact that it can access the full range of Next G services and content on a relatively inexpensive plan.
Price$ 729.00 (AUD)
Telstra's latest Next G handset offers a 2-megapixel camera, a TransFlash card slot and a fully fledged media player. Although its design is far from outstanding, it should still appeal to those looking at a reasonably priced option to accessing Next G services.
Manufactured by ZTE, the HSDPA-capable F852 is a handset offered on a lower priced plan than many other similar featured Next G handsets. It's aimed at consumers switching to the Next G network for the first time, but aren't willing to pay a premium to do so.
Although it's far from an outstanding phone, the appeal of the F852 lies in the fact that it offers full use of Mobile Foxtel and BigPond services, including Sensis Search, BigPond Photos and WhereIs maps. We were impressed by broadband speeds, especially when streaming mobile TV; the F852 is speedy and didn't suffer from any noticeable lag while accessing any of the available data services.
Considering the kind of content the Next G network offers, the F852 is a little disappointing in delivering it. The internal display doesn't have a great viewing angle and isn't as crisp or clear as we hoped and the sound quality using the included headphones is below average. With no 3.5mm headphone jack nor A2DP stereo Bluetooth, there are no options for changing this.
The keypad and controls are solid, but their flat nature means they do require quite a firm press to activate. We managed solid, but not overly quick messaging speeds as the keys are not separated and quite close together. The F852 supports standard SMS, MMS and e-mail messaging, all with the standard T9 predictive text input.
Thankfully, the general user experience of the F852 is excellent. Colourful, animated main menu icons in a grid layout and a simple list format for submenus makes using this phone a breeze.
A 2-megapixel camera with 2x digital zoom and video recording is included, but the lack of flash is a sour point. Photos aren't ideal for anything more than a few happy snaps. An internal VGA camera is present to allow for video calling over the Next G network.
A TransFlash card slot allows up to 2GB of extra storage, though there is no card included in the sales package, which is disappointing. The F852 also boasts Bluetooth and USB connectivity, though the latter is proprietary rather than the standard mini-USB connection. Telstra offers the F852 on a post paid $20 Phone Plan over 24 months.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSAP BASIS HANA ConsultantNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCSAP ABAP DeveloperNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCBusiness Intelligence and Reporting Project OfficerACT
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW