Tecmo Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff
Runs back the clock to an era of pre-franchise mode football sims.
- Familiar visuals, local and wi-fi multiplayer, special player abilities
- Flawed menu system, wonky touchpad controls
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff attempts to provide an audible experienced for uninitiated or lapsed players bewildered by current fantasy-football sims like Madden and 2K.
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff runs back the clock to an era of pre-franchise mode football sims with 8-bit style sprites and cut-scene laced arcade gameplay.
Kickoff nails the style of the NES original with tiny sprites skittering across a horizontal gridiron, fist-pumping audio and some high energy cut-scene animations. You can use either the face buttons or touchpad to control your players, which can be jarring since the former works better for running plays while the latter works better for passing to receivers. Also, like the originals there are no defensive plays — you can simply guess your opponent's next offensive play, which saves you half the trouble of interpreting Xs and Os.
Kickoff also offers customisation options including the ability to change team logos and player names as well as assign attribute points and offensive powers like rocket pass and lightning dodge. Ordinarily, jacking up your player's stats and powers might cause some balance issues, but the game's reliance on blocks, fumbles and interceptions provides both fast-paced arcade action and a mechanism to iron out the difficulty. Unfortunately, the game's simplicity is underscored by a flawed menu system. During play selection, there's no field position marker, so good luck deciding whether to punt or kick a field goal. Season mode is a clunky mess that doesn't allow you to exit games once you're in spectator mode, run multiple seasons or even delete a season that you've already started.
Players looking for an accessible football sim with robust local and NWC multiplayer capabilities will cheer on Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff, especially against a monolithic Madden franchise. If nostalgia is your game, the original Tecmo Bowl on Virtual Console still remains unbeaten after all these years.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC review impressions: This gorgeous, mostly smooth game is no Unity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCAngularJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- FTFunctional Business Analyst - Commodities and FX DomainNSW
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- FTAxway API DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- CCAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - Audio VisualSA
- CCFusion Middleware DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager- Wealth and AdviceNSW
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- CCSenior Server EngineerNSW
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- CCInfrastructure ConsultantNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW