Tecmo Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff
Runs back the clock to an era of pre-franchise mode football sims.
- Familiar visuals, local and wi-fi multiplayer, special player abilities
- Flawed menu system, wonky touchpad controls
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff attempts to provide an audible experienced for uninitiated or lapsed players bewildered by current fantasy-football sims like Madden and 2K.
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff runs back the clock to an era of pre-franchise mode football sims with 8-bit style sprites and cut-scene laced arcade gameplay.
Kickoff nails the style of the NES original with tiny sprites skittering across a horizontal gridiron, fist-pumping audio and some high energy cut-scene animations. You can use either the face buttons or touchpad to control your players, which can be jarring since the former works better for running plays while the latter works better for passing to receivers. Also, like the originals there are no defensive plays — you can simply guess your opponent's next offensive play, which saves you half the trouble of interpreting Xs and Os.
Kickoff also offers customisation options including the ability to change team logos and player names as well as assign attribute points and offensive powers like rocket pass and lightning dodge. Ordinarily, jacking up your player's stats and powers might cause some balance issues, but the game's reliance on blocks, fumbles and interceptions provides both fast-paced arcade action and a mechanism to iron out the difficulty. Unfortunately, the game's simplicity is underscored by a flawed menu system. During play selection, there's no field position marker, so good luck deciding whether to punt or kick a field goal. Season mode is a clunky mess that doesn't allow you to exit games once you're in spectator mode, run multiple seasons or even delete a season that you've already started.
Players looking for an accessible football sim with robust local and NWC multiplayer capabilities will cheer on Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff, especially against a monolithic Madden franchise. If nostalgia is your game, the original Tecmo Bowl on Virtual Console still remains unbeaten after all these years.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCTesting Resource ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- FTProject SchedulerSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JBoss/J2EE/SQL) 160830/AP/193Asia
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW