Robocalypse aims to fill the DS' RTS void.
- Simple and fun take on the RTS genre, good variety of missions and unit types
- Questionable AI, selecting individual units can be difficult at times
An interesting take on the RTS genre for the DS, Robocalypse won't blow your mind but it's a fun way to kill a few hours.
I'm surprised there aren't more RTS titles on the DS. The stylus and dual screens seem like a natural fit for the genre but aside from a handful of titles, it's sort of slim pickings for RTS fans. Robocalypse aims to fill that void with a robotic take on the genre that, for the most part, succeeds.
I'm surprised there aren't more RTS titles on the DS. The stylus and dual screens seem like a natural fit for the genre but aside from a handful of titles, the RTS genre has been sort of overlooked on Nintendo's handheld. Robocalypse aims to fill that void with a simplistic robot combat title that more or less succeeds.
The story takes place in a factory where prototype robots and toasters are being produced-talk about an odd combination! But when military combat routines are accidentally installed into the new robots, it turns them into strategic killers. To save humanity, a factory worked named Myron creates a new batch of robots that have been implanted with the brain scans of retired World War II vets. The setup's pretty wacky but the gameplay definitely relies on tried-and-true RTS conventions.
The Campaign mode offers 17 unique missions complete with hidden objectives and a reward system for meeting specific criteria. There's also a good variety to the unit and weapon types, with each robot possessing its own set of skills and armaments. You control the action with a simple point and click interface that's complimented by an Action Flag system that greatly reduces the difficulty of commanding multiple units but it can be frustrating to search for a specific unit, especially in the heat of battle. Your bots are smart enough to make some decisions on their own but I noticed some questionable behavior every now and again.
Despite these issues, I still liked the game's unique style and I'm happy to see the DS getting more RTS love. It's an easy game to pick up and I would recommend it to RTS lovers who game on the go. It won't make you forget about Starcraft II or the new Red Alert but it's a good way to kill a few hours.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Valve cleverly battles Steam cheaters with two-factor authentication
- Minecraft steps into virtual reality as Samsung Gear VR Edition appears in Oculus Store
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- EVE Valkyrie's new Carrier Assault mode will fulfill your Millennium Falcon dreams
- Doom co-creator John Romero teases new PC shooter
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- FTFunctional Kronos ConsultantNSW
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCWebOps EngineerVIC
- CCMid Range Developer (Senior .NET Developer)QLD
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- CCJava Developer - multiple opportunitiesNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Guidewire Policy Center)NSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW