Robocalypse aims to fill the DS' RTS void.
- Simple and fun take on the RTS genre, good variety of missions and unit types
- Questionable AI, selecting individual units can be difficult at times
An interesting take on the RTS genre for the DS, Robocalypse won't blow your mind but it's a fun way to kill a few hours.
I'm surprised there aren't more RTS titles on the DS. The stylus and dual screens seem like a natural fit for the genre but aside from a handful of titles, it's sort of slim pickings for RTS fans. Robocalypse aims to fill that void with a robotic take on the genre that, for the most part, succeeds.
I'm surprised there aren't more RTS titles on the DS. The stylus and dual screens seem like a natural fit for the genre but aside from a handful of titles, the RTS genre has been sort of overlooked on Nintendo's handheld. Robocalypse aims to fill that void with a simplistic robot combat title that more or less succeeds.
The story takes place in a factory where prototype robots and toasters are being produced-talk about an odd combination! But when military combat routines are accidentally installed into the new robots, it turns them into strategic killers. To save humanity, a factory worked named Myron creates a new batch of robots that have been implanted with the brain scans of retired World War II vets. The setup's pretty wacky but the gameplay definitely relies on tried-and-true RTS conventions.
The Campaign mode offers 17 unique missions complete with hidden objectives and a reward system for meeting specific criteria. There's also a good variety to the unit and weapon types, with each robot possessing its own set of skills and armaments. You control the action with a simple point and click interface that's complimented by an Action Flag system that greatly reduces the difficulty of commanding multiple units but it can be frustrating to search for a specific unit, especially in the heat of battle. Your bots are smart enough to make some decisions on their own but I noticed some questionable behavior every now and again.
Despite these issues, I still liked the game's unique style and I'm happy to see the DS getting more RTS love. It's an easy game to pick up and I would recommend it to RTS lovers who game on the go. It won't make you forget about Starcraft II or the new Red Alert but it's a good way to kill a few hours.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Project SpecialistVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCHead of Enterprise Organisational Change- GovernanceNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Project Server/SharePoint exposureACT
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCFinance Stream Consultant (SAP FICO & Procurement Streams)NSW
- CCChange / Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCTIBCO Support ConsultantsNSW
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer - Linux with NV1 clearanceVIC
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - GeneralVIC