TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7
If you need to edit and produce screencasts, or capture and share PowerPoint presentations and webcam footage, TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is the best software we've seen for the job
- Easy to use
An easy-to-use bargain to those who require its functionality, and an expensive burden to those who don't: TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is the best software of its type. Whether that makes it worth $370 to you and your business depends on your screencast-editing needs. If you regularly produce branded video software tutorials, Camtasia is a must.
Price$ 370.00 (AUD)
Existing Camtasia users will know that creating and editing projects is absurdly simple. Improvements in TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 include a revamped and improved user interface. This is now a Windows 7-like shiny number, with a tabbed horizontal taskbar that offers easy access to all of Camtasia's many editing features.
A useful addition to TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is cursor effects. This feature gives you the opportunity to edit out the cursor from your screen capture footage, or edit its appearance. This is easy to use and potentially very valuable, if you are making a video tutorial, for instance. Camtasia Studio can capture keyboard strokes during recordings, too - keystroke combinations can be displayed as text captions.
One feature new to TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 that we really like is Libraries. This easy-to-use function starts from the premise that certain elements will be consistent throughout your projects. These may include introductions, background music, titles, watermarks, logos and transitions.
Libraries allows you to group together these elements so that rolling them out consistently across each project is a cinch – very useful in the business marketing environments that Camtasia will most likely call home. It also lets you bookmark any frequently used elements to call up quickly when required.
So TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7 is, in essence, a full-blown video editor for footage captured on your PC. It also makes uploading to YouTube a single click affair; but is such functionality worth the $370 asking price?
We're not totally enamoured of Camtasia's basic, built-in titles editor. You can make captions and subtitles, but you can't export them as text files. And there's no support for closing credits or rollovers. This is less than impressive for a premium product such as TechSmith Camtasia Studio 7.
In the credit column, Techsmith provides excellent online video guides and tutorials to help you get the most out of Camtasia Studio 7.
In Australia Techsmith Camtasia Studio 7 is distributed by Microway.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 3 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- 4 Panasonic Blu-ray recorder PVR set-top box review
- 5 Garmin Fenix Chronos fitness tracker smartwatch review
Latest News Articles
- LastPass is scrambling to fix another serious vulnerability
- New Google Home partnerships expand the smart speaker’s footprint in the smart home
- If Google Assistant isn't your thing, you can now talk to Cortana on the lock screen
- Razer’s updated Blade Pro is the first ever THX-certified laptop
- 10 powerful, obscure Windows keyboard shortcuts you should know
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Subaru XV 2017 review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager - Office SuppliesQLD
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Office 365QLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer (Silverlight)VIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- FTTeam LeaderNSW
- TPProcess Business Analyst - Digital InnovationNSW
- FTSenior Security AnalystACT
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCBusiness Specialist - Data ManagementNSW
- TPTechnical ManagerNSW
- FTHelpdesk Support - Level 2VIC
- FTSQL Server DBA- 2016 RDBMS, SSIS, SRS, Certified DBANSW
- FTSAP Payroll and Time ConsultantVIC
- CCData Integration SpecialistQLD
- FTSenior C# Software Developer, BankingNSW
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- CCProject AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTGIS Software DeveloperQLD
- FTERP Reporting AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTJava DeveloperNSW