TechSmith Camtasia Studio 5.0
- With PowerPoint, you can correct mistakes or fine tune your recording
- Too many features that may confuse novices, price
In terms of features, Camtasia Studio 5.0 is the best choice for professionals, although the sheer wealth of options means it takes time to learn properly. The only down side is the fact that it is possible to buy (low-quality) recording software for a lot cheaper, while AllCapture 2.0 has many features for half the cost. Camtasia beats them all -- but at a steep price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Camtasia Studio 5.0 is a specialist program for those who need to record applications on their PC for training or promotion purposes. These screencasts can be saved in a range of formats, including Flash, WMV, AVI and QuickTime.
There are several competitors, including AllCapture and (for basic requirements) Easy Screen Capture Video, but none are as comprehensive as Camtasia Studio 5.0.
Not only does it capture audio and video from your PC, specifying particular parts of the screen to be recorded and annotated as necessary, but Camtasia Studio 5.0 also includes extremely useful editing tools, enabling you to correct mistakes or fine tune your recording as necessary.
What is more, Camtasia Studio 5.0 integrates with PowerPoint 2000 (and later versions) so that you can record and cast your presentations.
New to Camtasia Studio version 5.0 is a streamlined recorder that runs alongside other applications and uses crosshairs to specify the area to be captured, with recording taking place once you click a single button. SmartFocus allows you to record an entire screen and zoom into important areas while maintaining a sharp image, and ExpressShow bundles the whole recording into a single Flash file.
Many of these improvements make particular actions much easier to achieve, but the sheer amount of options means that Camtasia Studio 5.0 is not really a program for novices. However, screen capture quality (up to 30 frames per second) is superb, and the ability to tweak just about every property of a screencast -- as well as add such things as quizzes and survey questions -- will really be appreciated by experts.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Here's how Evernote moved 3 petabytes of data to Google's cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)ACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- CCIT Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- CCSenior consultant/ Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- CCSME in Openstack, AWSNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCData Engineer (SQL/Big Data/Scala)VIC
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCData Analyst - AutoHaulWA