TEAC Australia SDB450
- Small, lightweight, very easy to use, great value
- Lacks any distinguishing or advanced features
The TEAC SDB450 is a great product for anyone looking for an affordable, simple and easy way to access digital TV.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
The TEAC SDB450 is a standard-definition set-top box. With a smallish form factor, and minimal interface, it's incredibly easy to use and a great way to make a simple upgrade to digital television. Its low RRP also makes it fantastic value and a lot more affordable than some of the other set-top boxes on the market.
The initial channel scan was quite fast, and finished in less than five minutes, picking up all local channels. From there it was a simple process of selecting our favourite channels before we got straight to channel surfing. Reception was clear in our tests, with all standard-definition channels being displayed without interference. Although the unit is incapable of decoding high-definition channels, we were able to filter these out easily enough through the favourites option.
The interface is simple and well laid out without omitting any important options. Configuring the unit is a breeze, thanks to an intuitive channel guide and favourites menu. A handy separation of TV channels and radio channels also works well to cut down on the time needed to cycle through channels, and allows users to find what they're looking for faster.
Standard features such as configuring teletext, audio and aspect ratio are available, as well as a couple of extras. The image can be "frozen", while the audio continues, in a pseudo-pause feature, although when resumed the image will automatically jump back to real-time. Also available are a handful of basic games, which can be played picture-in-picture with whatever you're watching.
The SDB450's design is quite handy; being smaller than most set-top boxes means that it's easier to fit into what may already be a crowded home entertainment cabinet. All the necessary ports are included on the rear, while the front panel houses basic control buttons. The remote is small, lightweight and intuitively laid out.
Although the SDB450 may lack a lot of features that other units sport, such as high-definition reception, dual tuners, or PVR functionality, its simplicity, price and ease of use are hard to beat. For those looking for an unobtrusive, simple way to upgrade to digital TV, the SDB450 is well worth checking out.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Bose QuietComfort 25 review: A traveller's companion
- 5 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Drupal: If you weren't quick to patch, assume your site was hacked
- Smartphone share of overall mobile phone sales stalling at 70 percent
- Pirate Bay co-founder found guilty of hacking in Denmark
- Germany backs plan to retain personal flight data across EU
- China: Facebook not banned, but must follow the rules
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW