Teac LCDV2655HD LCD television
This mid-size LCD TV has an inbuilt DVD player, as well as a USB port and memory card slot
- Integrated DVD player, reasonably good speakers
- Low contrast ratio, imperfect scaling
The Teac LCDV2655HD is a reasonable mid-size LCD television for a bedroom or study. You probably won't want to use it as your primary TV, but its reasonable picture and inbuilt DVD player make it a convenient backup screen.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
The Teac LCDV2655HD is a 26in LCD television with an integrated DVD player, a high-definition resolution and a simple interface.
Like other models in Teac’s LCD television line-up (the 22in LCD228HDM, for example), the LCDV2655HD looks unremarkable but isn't ugly. A thin black bezel extends around the screen; it's slightly thicker at the base, presumably to hide the internal 8W stereo speakers.
The TV doesn’t have as many inputs as we were expecting. Unlike smaller 22in sets that usually have the ability to connect to a DVI-equipped personal computer or laptop, the 26in LCDV2655HD only has a standard HDMI connector, so you’ll need an adaptor to convert this to DVI. VGA, S-Video, component and composite analog connectors are also available.
The Teac LCDV2655HD’s DVD player is something that helps this player stand out from the crowd (integrated players are hard to find on screens larger than 22in). The DVD player can be detached for servicing.
The TV also has a USB connection and a multi-card reader, allowing you to view compressed video files and pictures, and listen to music files. The file format support certainly doesn’t come close to a dedicated media streamer like the Compro T1000W, but it’s better than nothing.
One niggle we had with the Teac LCDV2655HD was its poor video upscaling. Video often looked blocky and blurred unless it was encoded at the television’s native 768p resolution.
Surprisingly for a television that’s not from a premium manufacturer like Sony, the Teac LCDV2655HD has good internal speakers, with a high maximum volume and low distortion.
The television’s picture quality is the sticking point that might turn some people off. A contrast ratio of 800:1 is good enough for broadcast television, DVDs and downloaded media. However, when playing back a high-definition movie on the 1366x768 screen, the lack of contrast quickly becomes apparent. Blacks just aren’t as black as they could be, while colours weren’t as saturated or as separated as we expected. Don’t get us wrong — while the picture quality isn’t fantastic, it’s more than adequate for casual viewing.
With an integrated DVD player, USB port and multimedia card slot, as well as a pair of competent speakers, the Teac LCDV2655HD is a good choice for a secondary television for a bedroom or study.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's 4K Blu-ray player debuts locally in May
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Smart TVs at risk from cyber crooks, report finds
- Netflix inches towards global dominance
- All Samsung smart TVs will be 'IoT-ready' in 2016
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk, Service Support- Remedy or SAP backgroundNSW
- FTCyber Security SpecialistNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCSenior Change Analyst - Multiple RolesVIC
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- CCContracts ManagerNSW
- CCMid-level DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW
- CCData Migration SpecialistQLD
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW