TDK Tremor xa60
- Quality sound, thin and light satellite speakers, headphone out jack, sub can be placed either vertically or horizontally, auto off function, looks good
- Power button inconveniently located at back of sub, bass levels could be higher
A recommended set of desktop computer speakers. It delivers quality sound for a competitive price.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
The TDK Tremor xa60 system is a futuristic-looking set of desktop speakers that packs quite a punch in terms of sound quality--all for a fairly low price.
The Tremors have NXT technology built into the two satellite speakers. TDK claims a larger "sweet spot", which means that users don't have to be seated directly in front of the speakers to hear their full quality. After a full week's use, we can say that we were very impressed with the overall sound quality. Sound levels remained clear and crisp even when we were quite a distance from the unit.
The xa60 system includes two extremely thin and light satellite speakers and a subwoofer that can be placed either horizontally or vertically. The rear of the subwoofer houses colour coded inputs for all wires, which makes the Tremors very easy to set up. Also included on the subwoofer are a headphone jack and LED light on the front and a power switch on the rear. Our gripe with the power switch is its location, and we feel it would have been better on the front of the subwoofer for easier access. Additionally, for those who keep their subwoofer down below on the floor or at the bottom of a computer desk, it will be quite a hassle to reach behind the unit to switch it off all the time.
TDK has included a handy auto-off system, which may solve the above issue to some extent. After several hours of inactivity, the xa60 switches to standby mode.
The subwoofer provides a substantial amount of bass without overpowering the satellite speakers. We couldn't help but feel it probably lacked a little punch, but considering its size and power, it does a good job. The bass level is adjustable via a large dial at the front of the subwoofer, alongside a much smaller dial for treble control. Whether you are playing games or simply listening to music, it is worth spending some time adjusting the bass and treble levels to deliver the best quality sound.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 performance preview: Radeon reigns supreme
- Radeon Polaris GPU and Bristol Ridge APU should be featured by AMD at Computex
- Google's Tensor Processing Unit said to advance Moore's Law seven years into the future
- Confirmed by Nvidia: Official GeForce GTX 1070 tech specifications leak
- Rumours are true: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 officially supports only 2-way SLI setups
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- FTAX Lead Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (HTML/JAVA/Wireless & Mobile) 160525/SA/443Asia
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- FTAzure ConsultantQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCBusiness Analyst, Service Performance, RetailNSW
- CCOracle Application Administrator - July startACT
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCTechnical Digital Producer / Requirements EngineerNSW
- CCDigital Content ProducerVIC
- CCApplication Server AdminACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCOracle Siebel Administrator - JULY STARTACT
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW