TDK Tremor Xa-10
- Compact design, magnetic strips for traveling, can run on batteries or USB power, price
- Below average sound quality
For the price, we really can't complain about the Xa-10. This compact, flat panel set of speakers that will do the job for those who aren't too fussed about sound quality.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Lightweight DJ Style Headphones In-Line Control... 9.88
TDK is well known for its flat panel speakers, but in the Tremor Xa-10's TDK has taken another step. Powered by the USB port, or by AAA batteries, the Xa-10 is a set of compact speakers with a unique design.
The Xa-10 speakers connect to any device with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, so they can be used with portable multimedia players and notebooks. Their compact size means they have been designed for travelling and the unique magnets on the edge of each speaker allow them to stick together, so the flat speaker panels are protected and space is saved during transport. Once again, TDK has made use of NXT flat panel technology, which aims to provide a quality listening experience in the flattest form factor. NXT is responsible for the development and commercialisation of the Distributed Mode Loudspeaker (DML) technology now commonly referred to as 'flat panel' loudspeakers, and TDK has been using this technology in its speakers for a number of years now.
Sound quality is ultimately what we expected from speakers at this price point. A lack of bass is the main issue, and sound can become distorted at full volume. There is also an apparent lack of clarity and crispness. Overall, we didn't expect much more considering the price. Volume is adequate, although naturally, don't expect the Xa-10 speakers to be able to fill a room with sound; they are only rated at 1.2 watts per speaker.
The XA-10 speakers are powered by an included battery box, measuring 83mm x 50mm x 18mm. The cover is removed by sliding it back with your thumb, and it houses four AAA batteries which should last approximately 4.5 hours according to TDK figures. We recommend rechargeable Alkaline batteries for the best value for money. Alternatively, the battery box can be discarded and the speakers can be plugged into any USB port,such as on a PC or notebook, to draw power. Unfortunately, no AC adapter is included in the sales package, but you can purchase this an as extra. There is a DC input on the battery box, next to a power switch and LED light. The Xa-10 speakers are also available in lime green, orange and grey colours.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTServicenow DeveloperVIC
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTDefence Network Architect | NV2ACT
- FTProject Manager - IT Technology / Site RelocationsNSW
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCDatabase developer/ModellerACT
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- FTAEM & AEM Forms ConsultantsWA
- FTSenior Manager (Business Data Management)NSW
- FTSAP Team LeadVIC
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC