- Nice detail in mid range, comfortable for long listening periods, inline volume control
- Bass weak and lacks punch, shrill highs, not suited for DJs as stated
Considering their price tag, TDK's ST-PRO300 headphones are a decent buy, but their hollow bass and shrill highs combined with the airy, open design mean they aren't necessarily suited to DJs.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
TDK's ST-PRO300 headphones are supposed to be studio quality DJ headphones. Unfortunately, they are let down in a number of areas, including design and audio quality. While for the price they aren't a terrible buy, professional DJs and audiophiles should best look elsewhere.
The most obvious problem is that the headphones are extremely open. They don't sit firmly on the ears at all, sporting a wide design that forms no seal with your head at all. This lets a large quantity of external noise in, which can be quite detrimental for DJs. The vast majority of DJ headphones have a closed design, and for good reason.
Another factor that makes the ST-PRO300s less than suitable for DJs is the lack of bass. This is a key characteristic of DJ-style headphones, as the music they're playing is often bass oriented. These headphones produce fairly slow but weak bass all up. It is quite hollow and doesn't extend very deeply, meaning it lacks punch.
Meanwhile the mid range is strongly emphasised, with a forward presentation that dominates the rest of the sound. It can be harsh at times and is a little distorted, but there was a reasonable level of detail and clarity and for tunes that don't have a lot of bass the mid-range-heavy presentation was a little more suitable.
Highs were a little too shrill and suffered from the same harshness mentioned earlier. The soundstage was reasonably well produced, with a fairly wide presentation that was quite immersive.
As stated earlier the design of the ST-PRO300s is quite wide and narrow, although the cups can be extended to help achieve a better fit. They are covered in soft material rather than the plastic faux leather that is commonly found on cheaper headphones. The open design is comfortable and helps create a slightly airy sound, but it also means quite a lot of sound leaks in and out, so they aren't suited to listening when silence is paramount.
Built from flexible plastic, they feel relatively sturdy. They are quite large so you'll need a bag to take them on the road. The cord is a very hefty 2.7m which should be adequate for pretty much anyone, and it also includes an inline volume control.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCTransition Manager / Project ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160520/AP/985Asia
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Integration Solution ManagementVIC
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- CCTechnical Business Analyst, SuperannuationNSW
- CCSoftware Engineer (Client facing) - Publisher SolutionsNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCICT Contracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Program DirectorNSW
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCData Engineer | Real Time StreamingNSW
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC