- Good bass, heavy sound, flexible design
- Some distortion, uncomfortable for long listening sessions
The TDK ST-PR400 won't be for everybody. Their DJ design means one thing; lots of bass, and as such they aren't suited to all styles of music; however, dance and electronica fans may find what they're looking for here.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
DJ headphones are not for everybody. They resemble typical Hi-Fi headphones in many ways; however, their bass heavy sound won't suit all types of music. TDK's ST-PR400 DJ headphones are a prime example of this. They offer fairly good quality audio which is extremely strong towards the low end of the register as well as isolating nicely from external noise.
During our audio tests it quickly became apparent that certain styles of music just aren't suited to these headphones. The bass is extremely prominent and rumbles with quite a lot of power, which isn't great when listening to music like jazz or pop. Electronica, dance and hip hop fans however will likely love the sound style of the ST-PR400.
Due to the strong bass the general sound is extremely rich and warm. Everything is a little slow, meaning notes take a long time to decay. This isn't great for extremely fast-paced music (such as guitar solos) but adds a certain smooth feel to slower passages.
The mid and treble ranges exhibited quite good detail and the soundstage was excellent, with good placement and separation of the individual elements of the song. Treble notes tended to be a little rolled off, but this is quite standard for DJ-style headphones. Our music came across a little gritty at times, which shows a lack of refinement compared to more expensive models.
Overall, the sound quality of the ST-PR400 was fairly good. It won't blow you away, but those after something with a ton of bass and a warm, rich sound will be satisfied with this model. Professional DJs may wish to seek a slightly more expensive pair, but these will do fine for amateurs.
Aside from strong bass one of the other key considerations for DJ headphones is isolation. They are designed primarily to be used while working in loud, crowded environments and thus they must block out external noise where possible. This pair does a reasonable job although you can still hear background noise if it is reasonably loud.
One other thing DJs often do when using their headphones is have one cup on and the other off so they can hear both the music and the crowd. To cater for this, TDK has made the headphone cups on this model completely moveable. They can be rotated on basically any axis, allowing for maximum flexibility. We did find this a little fiddly at times, but it will suit some users. They were comfortable for short bursts, but during longer listening sessions we did find our ears got quite warm.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperSA