- Good bass, heavy sound, flexible design
- Some distortion, uncomfortable for long listening sessions
The TDK ST-PR400 won't be for everybody. Their DJ design means one thing; lots of bass, and as such they aren't suited to all styles of music; however, dance and electronica fans may find what they're looking for here.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
DJ headphones are not for everybody. They resemble typical Hi-Fi headphones in many ways; however, their bass heavy sound won't suit all types of music. TDK's ST-PR400 DJ headphones are a prime example of this. They offer fairly good quality audio which is extremely strong towards the low end of the register as well as isolating nicely from external noise.
During our audio tests it quickly became apparent that certain styles of music just aren't suited to these headphones. The bass is extremely prominent and rumbles with quite a lot of power, which isn't great when listening to music like jazz or pop. Electronica, dance and hip hop fans however will likely love the sound style of the ST-PR400.
Due to the strong bass the general sound is extremely rich and warm. Everything is a little slow, meaning notes take a long time to decay. This isn't great for extremely fast-paced music (such as guitar solos) but adds a certain smooth feel to slower passages.
The mid and treble ranges exhibited quite good detail and the soundstage was excellent, with good placement and separation of the individual elements of the song. Treble notes tended to be a little rolled off, but this is quite standard for DJ-style headphones. Our music came across a little gritty at times, which shows a lack of refinement compared to more expensive models.
Overall, the sound quality of the ST-PR400 was fairly good. It won't blow you away, but those after something with a ton of bass and a warm, rich sound will be satisfied with this model. Professional DJs may wish to seek a slightly more expensive pair, but these will do fine for amateurs.
Aside from strong bass one of the other key considerations for DJ headphones is isolation. They are designed primarily to be used while working in loud, crowded environments and thus they must block out external noise where possible. This pair does a reasonable job although you can still hear background noise if it is reasonably loud.
One other thing DJs often do when using their headphones is have one cup on and the other off so they can hear both the music and the crowd. To cater for this, TDK has made the headphone cups on this model completely moveable. They can be rotated on basically any axis, allowing for maximum flexibility. We did find this a little fiddly at times, but it will suit some users. They were comfortable for short bursts, but during longer listening sessions we did find our ears got quite warm.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
- Sennheiser's new DJ range of headphones
- B&W P5 headphones to become the ultimate luxury accessory
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW