First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
TDK NX-08CD mini hi-fi system
The TDK NX-08CD mini hi-fi system lets you play music from CDs, memory sticks and iPods
- Attractive and functional design, good sound quality, lots of sound inputs
- No volume knob for controlling bass levels
The TDK NX-08CD mini hi-fi system offers impressive sound quality and will let you play music from almost any source you can think of, including iPods and memory cards.
Price$ 329.95 (AUD)
The TDK NX-08CD features ultra-thin flat panel speakers (which are wall-mountable), a subwoofer and a main unit with a remote control. The system is easy to set up; you need only plug a few cables before using it. It supports CDs, memory cards, USB drives, iPods and any MP3 player with a 3.5mm output. It also has an FM radio.
As well as regular CDs, you can play discs with MP3 files on them. There is a USB port and memory card reader at the bottom of the mini hi-fi that lets you play MP3 and WMA files. The iPod dock connector sits on the right-hand side, and other music devices can be plugged in through an auxiliary cable on the side of the unit. It's worth noting that the TDK NX-08CD mini hi-fi system only officially supports iPods, not iPhones. Although our iPhone worked fine (after a brief complaint on its screen), this sound system is not recommended if you want to primarily play back music files stored on your handset.
Considering how flat the speakers are, the TDK NX-08CD mini hi-fi system sounds pretty damn good. Audio was very crisp and clear even at maximum volume, and the subwoofer ensures that the bass levels are covered nicely. Unfortunately, the subwoofer didn't include a volume knob for changing the amount of bass; however, the bass levels sounded good enough during our tests that we could see why this was left out.
The controls on the system's front cover the usual options — play, pause, volume adjustment and track skip — as well as buttons for browsing folders on memory sticks and MP3 CDs.
The TDK NX-08CD mini hi-fi system has a headphone jack positioned on the side of the unit as well as a video out port for iPods. It retails for $329.95 but can be found for almost $100 less if you shop around.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Latest News Articles
- Google invites Glass wearers to brave LA's beaches
- Telerik frees HTML5 collection of components
- Space X rocket en route to ISS with space laser cargo
- AMD steers clear of low-cost tablet market
- Experts: Avoid big mistakes with Oracle's Exadata
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 2 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 3 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 4 LCD vs plasma vs LED TVs buying guide
- 5 Aldi's new budget Android smartphone isn't very good value