- Looks good, portable, wall mountable, backlit display
- No MP3 support, lacks bass, no alarm function
If you are looking for a basic mini Hi-Fi system for your bedroom, the NX-02CD is perfect--and its clear NXT speakers just happen to look fantastic.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Flanked by its clear Perspex speakers, the TDK Slimline NX-02CD Sound System is a futuristic-looking mini hi-fi system that resembles no other device on the market. The clear plastic screens on each end of the device are, in fact, polycarbonate speakers that vibrate to produce sound. The speakers are based on technology from NXT. While it's tempting to touch the speakers (and just about everyone does), they scratch, smudge and mark easily and are very hard to keep clean.
With its rounded, silver edges, front-loading CD drive, subwoofer and transparent speakers, the NX-02CD looks unconventional, but is most definitely eye-catching. In a further design twist, the CD drive opens upward and the CD loads flat into the device, face forward. As the CD drive cover is also clear, you can watch the disk spin as it plays. Furthermore, you can remove the base and mount the device to a wall, which is great for those with limited space.
The centre of the NX-02CD contains all the unit's controls, the CD drive and a small subwoofer at the bottom. The small backlit screen at the top of the panel displays the time or the current media (CD, radio or auxiliary input) you are listening to, and a handy feature is the ability to light up the display even when the device is off, which makes it particularly useful as a bedroom clock. A single headphone jack is located on the front of the device, and the sound through a set of headphones is clear.
The sound quality of the unit is average and it does lack a bit of bass, even when adjusted to its highest setting. The unit offers four equaliser sound presets--rock, pop, flat and classical--and it's well worth trying these presets. We found no distortion or crackling evident when the unit was at its highest volume setting.
The NX-02CD plays CD, CD-R and CD-RW audio discs, but does not support MP3 playback. We tested a range of CD media and most worked well, although a couple of CD-Rs that played fine in other devices skipped in this unit. As well as CD playback, the NX-02CD features an AM/FM digital radio with 20 presets for each band.
At the rear of the device you will find in and out auxiliary jacks for connecting other audio equipment to the NX-02CD. We connected an MP3 player to the device to play music through the system, and the sound quality was just as good as a normal CD.
The NX-02CD also features a sleep function that turns off the device after a certain period of time--15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes. The lack of an alarm function is a big let down, considering that this is clearly a device you could keep in your bedroom.
A small remote control is included in the package and some functions (like the sleep settings) can only be accessed from the remote.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 3 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 4 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 5 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
Latest News Articles
- Amazon's faster new Fire TV Stick comes with an Alexa-enabled voice remote
- 4K Chromecast Ultra details leak ahead of Google event
- Sonos comes to the Apple store, but what does that mean for Beats speakers?
- Plex Cloud lets you say goodbye to your always-on home media server
- Sony's first 4K Blu-ray player reminds you what a steal the Xbox One S truly is
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW