TDK iVibe iPod dock speaker system
TDK's latest wall-mountable iPod speaker system has good bass for its size
- Reasonable sound quality, large and clear LCD screen
- No adjustable EQ, build quality is spectacular
If you've got an iPod, need a speaker system and have nowhere around the house to put it, why not get one of TDK's wall-mountable iVibe setups?
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
The TDK iVibe is an iPod dock with two flat-panel speakers, a large LCD screen and an alarm clock function. If you’re looking for a slim, wall-mountable dock, the TDK iVibe is worth considering.
We like the way the TDK iVibe iPod speaker system is designed, with a single slim speaker panel accented by two thin chrome strips. Along with the dark chrome stand, the design is simple and stylish. We wish the speaker panel was made out of higher quality plastic though; it looks slightly tacky when viewed front-on.
The large LCD screen of the TDK iVibe is useful, despite displaying only a few characters at a time. Each character is around an inch high, so the display is easy to see from across a room. The screen is bright enough to read even in direct sunlight (though it’s uncomfortably bright in a dark room).
The TDK iVibe won't work with MP3 players apart from iPods, but it does come with an integrated FM tuner. We didn't have any problems when we tested it with an Apple iPhone 3G mobile phone, an Apple iPod touch (2nd generation) MP3 player and an Apple iPod Nano (4th generation) MP3 player. The dock will charge your iPod or iPhone while you're listening to music, so it’s a good way to get some battery power back in your music player before you head out for the day.
Sound from the flat-panel speakers is surprisingly good. Despite being little more than an inch thick at their deepest, they have accurate mid-range response and good bass resonance at higher volumes. Treble representation is also good, with crisp, high notes created without too much harshness or brightness. There’s no adjustable equaliser, but the four presets ⏼ rock, jazz, classic and pop — do a reasonable job.
You can use the included remote to set two alarms. There's also a sleep function that let's you specify how long the system should play music for before turning itself off.
The TDK iVibe speaker system can be wall mounted with either two or four screws.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- CCSCRUM MasterNSW
- FTNetwork ConsultantNSW
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Revenue Systems Functional AnalystSA
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCBPM ConsultantVIC