TDK iVibe iPod dock speaker system
TDK's latest wall-mountable iPod speaker system has good bass for its size
- Reasonable sound quality, large and clear LCD screen
- No adjustable EQ, build quality is spectacular
If you've got an iPod, need a speaker system and have nowhere around the house to put it, why not get one of TDK's wall-mountable iVibe setups?
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
The TDK iVibe is an iPod dock with two flat-panel speakers, a large LCD screen and an alarm clock function. If you’re looking for a slim, wall-mountable dock, the TDK iVibe is worth considering.
We like the way the TDK iVibe iPod speaker system is designed, with a single slim speaker panel accented by two thin chrome strips. Along with the dark chrome stand, the design is simple and stylish. We wish the speaker panel was made out of higher quality plastic though; it looks slightly tacky when viewed front-on.
The large LCD screen of the TDK iVibe is useful, despite displaying only a few characters at a time. Each character is around an inch high, so the display is easy to see from across a room. The screen is bright enough to read even in direct sunlight (though it’s uncomfortably bright in a dark room).
The TDK iVibe won't work with MP3 players apart from iPods, but it does come with an integrated FM tuner. We didn't have any problems when we tested it with an Apple iPhone 3G mobile phone, an Apple iPod touch (2nd generation) MP3 player and an Apple iPod Nano (4th generation) MP3 player. The dock will charge your iPod or iPhone while you're listening to music, so it’s a good way to get some battery power back in your music player before you head out for the day.
Sound from the flat-panel speakers is surprisingly good. Despite being little more than an inch thick at their deepest, they have accurate mid-range response and good bass resonance at higher volumes. Treble representation is also good, with crisp, high notes created without too much harshness or brightness. There’s no adjustable equaliser, but the four presets ⏼ rock, jazz, classic and pop — do a reasonable job.
You can use the included remote to set two alarms. There's also a sleep function that let's you specify how long the system should play music for before turning itself off.
The TDK iVibe speaker system can be wall mounted with either two or four screws.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- FTChange Management Specialist - IT Service ManagementNSW
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW