- Slim design, auxiliary input, preset equaliser settings, alarm clock and FM radio with 20 presets
- Average sound quality, distortion at higher volume levels
It may not offer outstanding audio quality, but TDK's iSLIM is certainly a convenient device if you'd like to wake up to your iPod in the mornings.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
TDK's latest contraption is a compact iPod speaker system, alarm clock and FM radio all-in-one. The iSLIM, as its name suggests, offers the slim, NXT flat panel speaker technology and a bright LED display, but sound quality isn't the best.
The iSLIM works with all iPods that have a dock connector including the iPod nano, iPod (Video), iPod nano (2nd Generation), iPod (Updated 5th Generation), iPod nano (3rd Generation), iPod classic, and even the latest iPod touch. Don't despair if you don't have one of these units though, as the iSLIM includes a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input, meaning any portable media player with a standard headphone jack can be used. It also has a video-out jack, meaning iPod video or touch units can be connected to your television.
Although the unit is nicely designed, its sound quality is average. The iSLIM sounds reasonable at low volume levels, but if you want to fill a small room with sound, then this isn't the unit for you. Distortion and crackling are evident at higher volume levels, and the sound isn't crisp or clear. The overall sound is bright, with harsh, tinny highs and a stark lack of bass. The equaliser presets (Flat, Rock, Pop, Classic, Jazz) somewhat corrected this, though the sound still wasn't outstanding. The lack of bass or treble controls is also disappointing in this regard.
Rather than a dedicated compact speaker system, the iSLIM is best utilised as an alarm clock and FM radio and is only recommended for the odd listening session at lower volume levels -- perhaps some quiet bedtime listening.
The iSLIM's alarm clock can be configured to wake you to the FM radio, your iPod, or a device connected via the auxiliary input. Using an iPod is a simple matter of plugging your player into the dock and switching the playback mode. The unit also charges your iPod while connected. The FM radio works well indoors and includes a fold out, extendible antenna and 20 presets.
Conveniently, the iSLIM remote allows almost full navigation of the iPod menu including the ability to access playlists. Its buttons are quite large and easy to press, and its range is quite good, working at a length of up to five or six metres away from the unit.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: The busiest, biggest and best Samsung phablet
- 3 Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- 4 Nokia Lumia 735 review: Perfectly ordinary
- 5 Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Series 2) review: For elegant sound
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- EU net neutrality legislation under threat from Italian proposals, says rights group
- Molecular flash memory could store massive data
- Google, Rockstar reach deal to settle lawsuit over Nortel patents
- NSA chief says cyberattacks on industrial systems are his top concern
- Sony Xperia Z3 review: The no-frills flagship
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA