- Slim design, auxiliary input, preset equaliser settings, alarm clock and FM radio with 20 presets
- Average sound quality, distortion at higher volume levels
It may not offer outstanding audio quality, but TDK's iSLIM is certainly a convenient device if you'd like to wake up to your iPod in the mornings.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
TDK's latest contraption is a compact iPod speaker system, alarm clock and FM radio all-in-one. The iSLIM, as its name suggests, offers the slim, NXT flat panel speaker technology and a bright LED display, but sound quality isn't the best.
The iSLIM works with all iPods that have a dock connector including the iPod nano, iPod (Video), iPod nano (2nd Generation), iPod (Updated 5th Generation), iPod nano (3rd Generation), iPod classic, and even the latest iPod touch. Don't despair if you don't have one of these units though, as the iSLIM includes a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input, meaning any portable media player with a standard headphone jack can be used. It also has a video-out jack, meaning iPod video or touch units can be connected to your television.
Although the unit is nicely designed, its sound quality is average. The iSLIM sounds reasonable at low volume levels, but if you want to fill a small room with sound, then this isn't the unit for you. Distortion and crackling are evident at higher volume levels, and the sound isn't crisp or clear. The overall sound is bright, with harsh, tinny highs and a stark lack of bass. The equaliser presets (Flat, Rock, Pop, Classic, Jazz) somewhat corrected this, though the sound still wasn't outstanding. The lack of bass or treble controls is also disappointing in this regard.
Rather than a dedicated compact speaker system, the iSLIM is best utilised as an alarm clock and FM radio and is only recommended for the odd listening session at lower volume levels -- perhaps some quiet bedtime listening.
The iSLIM's alarm clock can be configured to wake you to the FM radio, your iPod, or a device connected via the auxiliary input. Using an iPod is a simple matter of plugging your player into the dock and switching the playback mode. The unit also charges your iPod while connected. The FM radio works well indoors and includes a fold out, extendible antenna and 20 presets.
Conveniently, the iSLIM remote allows almost full navigation of the iPod menu including the ability to access playlists. Its buttons are quite large and easy to press, and its range is quite good, working at a length of up to five or six metres away from the unit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160816/AP/vhsAsia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- CCLinux EngineerVIC
- CCChange / Project ManagerVIC
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Project Server/SharePoint exposureACT
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCOracle DevelopersACT
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCVMWare SpecialistACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/P/743Asia
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCProject Manager (Application Dev. & Mgt.) 160906/PM/472Asia
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperWA