A great wireless music solution
- Good quality microphone, A2DP support
- Largely unresponsive media keys, poor quality earphones
TDK provides the Bluetooth market with an excellent solution for listening to music and making stereo phone calls.
Price$ 89.95 (AUD)
If you've been waiting for a decent wireless music solution the wait is over. TDK's BT-100 is an excellent Bluetooth device, providing users with uncompromising sound for both music and phone calls. The inclusion of A2DP support — which allows wireless Bluetooth music streaming — and a high quality microphone make for an excellent wireless music and telephony solution.
The BT-100 is a sleek device: it's small and easy to hide. Integrated navigation buttons are suited to both music and phone calls, allowing users to increase volume, change tracks or end a phone call. These can be slightly unresponsive at times but are largely functional. The inclusion of a 3.5mm headphone jack rather than a proprietary port or attached earphones is a welcome inclusion, as this means you can use the device with any set of headphones.
The BT-100 is designed to clip onto the user's lapel, and as such the provided earphone cord length isn't very long though it should suffice. We found the earphones to be of quite poor quality. Music reproduction was inaccurate and exaggerated low- and mid-range frequencies drowned out most other sound. This was particularly noticeable in songs with male vocals and acoustic music, though dance and electronic music tended to benefit slightly from this flaw. We also noticed an unacceptable level of distortion was apparent when the mobile phone was pushed to full volume, a result of the earphones themselves rather than the device. Given the price point of the device, it is a minor quibble.
Testing the device with our own earphones provided much better results. Using our high-quality earphones, the sound is quite impressive. There are no marked exaggerations in frequencies and the BT-100 provides a balanced sound with an acceptable volume level. The ability to use third party earphones through a standard headphone port is a very welcome addition, allowing users to customise their listening experience depending on their musical tastes and sound quality preferences.
Call quality was generally acceptable. Using the provided earphones, the same exaggeration of mid-range frequencies is apparent, resulting in the recipient having a muffled voice. When using high-quality earphones with a much more balanced sound, the quality was much better. The recipient claimed that the microphone was of a high standard and the resulting quality was solid. Overall, we found audio quality was passable and comfortable enough to conduct long conversations. Calls were output in stereo, a welcome if impractical addition (the vast majority of Bluetooth headsets on the market output in mono).
At an affordable price point, the BT-100 has enough flexibility to suit the needs of both those with heavy phone calling needs and avid music listeners. While the provided earphones certainly have flaws, the device is a suitable addition to the modern mobile phone.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Fake heads and robot probes: testing smartphones prior to launch
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
- Xiaomi's Mi6 has the Galaxy S7’s looks, the S8’s power, and iPhone 7’s camera for half the price
- Samsung DeX turns your Galaxy S8 into a shockingly good desktop PC
- Find My iPhone helps nab a thief at Coachella with 100 phones in his backpack
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSOE Business AnalystACT
- FTWindows Server Engineer MCSE, SCCM, SCOM, PowershellNSW
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTOSS Developer - BPM (Business Process Manager) SMEVIC
- CCSystems Specialist - Network Systems l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTInfrastructure DesignerVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsQLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer - Multiple rolesQLD
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystVIC
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- FTSharepoint Support AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCNetwork Design SpecialistNSW
- FTTechnical SpecialistACT
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Domain ArchitectVIC
- CCServer SOE EngineerACT
- FTSenior Java EngineerWA
- TPProject Support AnalystNSW
- FTRisk and Quality ManagerNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- TPIT Support AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Audio Visual/Video DomainVIC
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW