Tabbles Free offers a new way to organise files on your hard drive
- Free, easy to use
- Limited in the number of files it can use.
Using Tabbles Free is a fairly quick-and-painless process. If you regularly work on projects which span multiple files which don't all logically fit into a single folder or hierarchy, Tabbles can be of great value.
Tabbles Free is software that offers something useful and different - a new way to organise and find files on your hard disk, not a File Explorer replacement.
One all-too-common phenomenon on the internet is the promising but not-quite-there-yet program which dies the lingering death of ever-slower updates until you visit their site and see a "Coming soon!" post from three years ago. Thus, it's a rare and wonderful thing when a program instead regularly updates, fixing flaws without shedding functionality. This is the case with Tabbles Free, as it has fixed a number of problems from its debut version while enhancing core functionality.
Here's how Tabbles Free works. A "tabble" is a "tag bubble", which holds all the files or folders tagged with a combination of attributes. This document, for example, can be tagged as a "Review," "Professonal Writing," "In-Progress," and "Tabbles." If we want to find every file associated with this review, including screen-shots, web links, and the like, we might grab everything tagged with "Tabbles." If we want to find all our incomplete works, we will open the "In-Progress" tabble. If we just want to see reviews we're still working on, we can easily combine the "In-Progress" tabble and the "Review" tabble, seeing just those files with both those tags.
Tabbles Free has changed a good bit from its earlier incarnations. First, the interface is much closer to Windows norms, and it's quite a bit more responsive as well, with more options for user configuration. (Such as being able to set the speed of the pop-up alerts.) Second, more features have been added, including the ability to have true nested tabbles, for tags which strongly relate to other tags.
For example, on a complex project, we created an "Outdated" tabble which appears inside that project's tabble, and which holds all the files (scattered over many directories) which are not current. This can also be done by creating a "root level" tabble called "Outdated" and then filtering all files with that tag from the main view, but nested tabbles lets me organize my information more easily, especially as the list of tags grows. It should be noted you can still tag any file with any tabble. If you have a tabble "Projects" and a nested tabble "Outdated," you can tag a file "Outdated" without tagging it "Projects," and it will show up when you open the "Projects" tabble, since all "Outdated" files are automatically included.
Tabbles Free can tag only 1,000 files, effectively making it a demo for the paid versions.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 2 LED Lenser P7R Professional Torch review
- 3 Aftershokz Wireless Trekz Titanium Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headphones review
- 4 Review: Periscope users rejoice with Feiyu’s G4 Plus 3-Axis Gimbal for Smartphone video
- 5 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
Latest News Articles
- PSA: Windows 10's Anniversary Update reactivates ads you've already disabled
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Andromeda inbound? Google's long-rumored Android/Chrome OS merger may debut Oct 4
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCBI Reporting AnalystACT
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC