Synology DiskStation DS411slim NAS device
The Synology DiskStation DS411slim is a good-performing NAS box that's economical in its power usage and fits in tight spaces.
- Small size
- Good performer
- No locking mechanism for drives
Put simply, the Synology DiskStation DS411slim is a great little NAS unit, emphasis on the words little and great.
Price$ 370.00 (AUD)
The Synology DiskStation DS411slim is a compact and speedy 4-bay NAS (Network-Attached Storage) device. At about half the size of the average two-bay NAS enclosure, the four-bay Synology DiskStation DS411Slim is a great option when you need a lot of storage capacity (up to 6TB) but physical space is at a premium.
To achieve its compact form, the DS411slim simply uses bays designed for 2.5-inch drives (as opposed to 3.5-inch drives). But despite its diminutive size, this unit doesn’t lack for power: It's every bit as capable as any Synology box, which is saying a lot.
The slim in the Synology DiskStation DS411slim's name is actually a bit of a misnomer-it's small, but not slim in any dimension. That said, it will fit in places the normal NAS box won't, and using 2.5-inch drives saves power. It also has two USB 2.0 ports, one on the front next to the copy button so you can easily back up USB drives to the unit, and the other on back, directly underneath the eSATA connector. The drives slide easily out the back of the unit, which leads to my only complaint: It lacks a locking mechanism for the drives, which are relatively secure but held in place only by pressure.
Synology's windows-in-a-browser DiskManager Station 3.1 operating system is the current role model for the industry. Used on all its NAS enclosures, DSM is highly capable with features like iTunes and DLNA-certified media serving; email and website hosting; and remote access via FTP, HTTP, FTPS, HTTPS, and dedicated audio, photo, and download interfaces.
Synology's NAS units are ideal small business servers, especially in light of their rsync syncing between NAS boxes. Set up two rsync-capable boxes in remote locations and they can mirror each other--amounting to offsite, online backup without the yearly fees.
I tested the DS411slim with 2.5-inch, 500GB drives. Configured in a RAID 0 array, the unit averaged approximately 45 MBps writing data to its drives, and about 58 MBps reading from them during my hands-on tests on a gigabit network. That's quite fast (especially considering these were 5400-rpm, 2.5-inch drives), and not much slower than Synology's DS211+.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- FTPython Data EngineerWA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- FTTandem/NonStop Technical ConsultantWA
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA