Synology DiskStation DS211+ NAS device
Synology's DiskStation DS211+ is a fast but pricey 2-bay NAS box that's loaded with features and useful software.
- Lots of features
The Synology DiskStation DS211+ is a fast NAS box with a vast array of features, but it's pricey, retailing for around $435.
Price$ 435.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- DS-2500 Digital Recorder Voice Recorder 734.99
The two-bay Synology DiskStation DS211+ is as feature-packed as two-bay NAS enclosures come. Not only is the box fast, but its easy-to-use DiskStation Manager 3.1 software provides tons of Secure FTP and HTTP, a variety of media-serving features, rsync backup to other NAS boxes, iSCSI, video surveillance, and a whole lot more.
Although the unit itself is attractive, the Synology DiskStation DS211+'s drive bays have a slightly cheap feel. The pop-off faceplate that facilitates access to the drives is clever as well as handy, but the plastic trays and locking mechanisms seem a bit penny-pinching for a box this pricey. So does the lack of a second ethernet port for failover and increasing available bandwidth.
The company's DiskStation Manager 3.1 software offers an interface that is like running Linux within a Window. You can open, close, drag, and stack windows--all within your Web browser. The multiple views and windows make it much easier to get a handle on file operations and the contents of the Synology DiskStation DS211+ drive. And it's just plain cool.
I tested the Synology DiskStation DS211+ with both a 3TB and 2TB drive installed. The unit averaged approximately 44 MBps writing data to its drives, and about 62 MBps reading on my gigabit network. That's a good performance, but a tad slower writing than the Synology DS411slim, though 4MBps faster reading.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar launches new USB JumpDrives
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - SCOM/SCCM/PowerShellVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- FTOracle Middleware ConsultantNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- FTJunior Project Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- FTTechnical WriterNSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- CCMultiple Middleware DevelopersACT
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW