Synology DiskStation DS112 NAS device (user review three)
Our third and final Synology DS112 user review shows how this NAS device can be used in schools
- Good solution for transferring work to and from iPads
- None evident
For a school environment like ours, the Synology DS112 NAS device is perfect as it allows us to supply the kids with an easy and secure solution for getting data on and off their iPads.
Price$ 219.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
- DiskStation 2-Bay (2x 2TB NAS Drives) Network A... 1299.99
- DiskStation 2-Bay (2x 3TB NAS Drives) Network A... 1373.99
- America DiskStation 1-Bay 3TB Business Ready Ne... 1424.99
In this review, we examine how the Synology DS112 network attached storage (NAS) device can be used within a school environment to provide an easy-to-use file structure on iPads.
At our school, we adpoted a 1:1 iPad program for our year four students. However, we soon found ourselves looking for a solution to the lack of a file structure on those iPads.
Moving photos around was a big problem, work was being emailed out to students and returned by email for assessment. Everything seemed to require a two- or three-stage process.
We needed a simpler solution to the storage and transfer of work to and from iPads — we needed a file structure. We trialled a few options like Dropbox and the like, but it wasn’t until we tried the Synology DS112 unit that we found an answer to almost all of our problems.
Many apps have a WebDAV option that allows students to save work directly to our unit, where we can assess it, and photos go straight to or from the camera roll. The unit also allows us to control who has access to each folder.
The simplicity of the structure means that the year four students can use the unit within minutes of the free apps being installed. Seeing a file structure on an iPad for the first time is a bit odd, but you’ll soon be using for just about everything.
The screenshots below show how the students are using the DS112 to store and access data through their iPads.
Note: we recently conducted a Synology competition in which users had to tell us how winning a Synology NAS device would increase their office productivity. The winners of these NAS devices (including the author of this user review) kindly agreed to review these devices to further illustrate how they will be using them for their day-to-day work.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs
- SanDisk pushes MicroSD to 200GB
- Samsung jumps into external SSD market
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW