Symantec Norton SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition
- Robust protection, User Interface
- None to speak of
We liked the idea of being able to buy a cheaper package that gives you all the useful tools found in SystemWorks without forcing you to opt for Norton AntiVirus. There are lots of other virus protection suites on the market, some of which cost nothing. However, it's a good idea to opt for a package such as this that fills in the gaps left by free products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition is the latest addition to Norton's suite of utilities. Despite the 'Basic' tag, it's aimed at more experienced PC users - those who already have some protection but want to beef it up a bit. No antivirus software is included.
Instead, you get four robust protection and optimisation apps: Norton Utilities, Norton GoBack, CheckIt Diagnostics and System Optimizer. These will help you to diagnose and fix problems, restore your PC to a trouble-free state - should disaster strike - and ensure you are getting the best possible performance from your PC.
When you first install the software it automatically scans your PC for any issues. A pop-up window in the Toolbar will warn you if it finds anything nasty. You can then choose to fix the problem at the click of a button or find out more about the situation before initiating a quick fix.
Testing the software on even a brand-new PC threw up a huge amount of Internet-related clutter. The PC had been in use for only a couple of weeks and was already playing host to thousands of superfluous files. Thankfully, the Norton Cleanup function was able to detect and wipe them.
The more you've used the PC, the greater the number of problems the software is likely to find. This will increase the time it takes to complete its work. It's like clearing a messy desk: the less often it's tidied, the longer it takes.
This software will keep on tidying up in the background. You can schedule your PC for regular, automatic scans and then forget about it until a problem crops up.
From the pop-up window, clicking on the Home link will bring up the SystemWorks main interface, providing access to the tool suite. Clicking on any of the buttons on the left takes you to the controls for each tool, allowing you to configure each one. From here you can use any of the utilities to speed up performance and fix problems, recover files and folders using GoBack, configure Cleanup options and check for any problems.
SystemWorks 2006 Basic Edition doesn't come with antivirus protection, so you'll need to look elsewhere to keep your PC free from bugs. Of course, you could always shell out extra for the full version, which includes Norton AntiVirus.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Hackers figure out how to seize control of a car from anywhere
- Mozilla to focus on minimizing desertions to Edge with new Windows 10 Firefox
- Most Google de-listing requests are from everyday folk, leaked data shows
- Michael Dell: Dell will ship Windows 10 PCs on July 29
- Microsoft wraps up revamped Office 2016 for Mac
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW