Symantec Norton Ghost 15
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers
- Now makes images from boot disc, tonnes of features
- Slow boot disc requires 1GB of memory, must enter serial number to image from boot disc
Symantec's exceedingly powerful disk-imaging and backup program has a few usability annoyances.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The update of Symantec Norton Ghost 15 substantially improves one of the most capable disk-imaging programs on the market.
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers. And all of the enhancements make this a powerful tool for anyone serious about backup and recovery.
For the average user, Windows 7 support, Blu-ray disc burning, and a feature Symantec has dubbed "cold imaging" are the most intriguing new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15.
Though most imaging products have offered cold imaging - the ability to create a backup image using the recovery CD - for years, it's certainly a welcome addition to Symantec Norton Ghost 15. (We've complained for ages about the feature's absence from Ghost and other Symantec imaging products.)
Symantec Norton Ghost 15's version of the feature, which copies only entire partitions, performed quickly and perfectly in our tests. A notable annoyance: you must enter the program serial number each time you use the feature. Recovery doesn't require a serial number.
The only real drawbacks with Symantec Norton Ghost 15 relate to using the Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE)-based recovery CD. It's slow to boot, but more significantly it requires 1GB of RAM. While that may not seem like a lot these days, plenty of PCs top out at 512MB or less.
Unfortunately, the recovery CD has severe limitations, too. Once upon a time, in lieu of creating an image, Norton's recovery CDs offered a file browser that allowed copying at the file level. The browser is still there, but all file functions have been disabled. We wish Symantec would reinstate the file functions and stop assuming the worst of its users, who deserve to be treated as valued customers and not pirates.
IT managers in small and medium-size businesses will appreciate Symantec Norton Ghost 15's ability to schedule conversion of images to VMware ESX 3.5i/4.0i and 3.5/4.0 virtual machine format. The new version also offers support for Microsoft's Hyper-V virtual server format.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- FTPMO SpecialistACT
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCTIBCO Support ConsultantsNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW