Symantec Norton Ghost 15
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers
- Now makes images from boot disc, tonnes of features
- Slow boot disc requires 1GB of memory, must enter serial number to image from boot disc
Symantec's exceedingly powerful disk-imaging and backup program has a few usability annoyances.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
The update of Symantec Norton Ghost 15 substantially improves one of the most capable disk-imaging programs on the market.
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers. And all of the enhancements make this a powerful tool for anyone serious about backup and recovery.
For the average user, Windows 7 support, Blu-ray disc burning, and a feature Symantec has dubbed "cold imaging" are the most intriguing new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15.
Though most imaging products have offered cold imaging - the ability to create a backup image using the recovery CD - for years, it's certainly a welcome addition to Symantec Norton Ghost 15. (We've complained for ages about the feature's absence from Ghost and other Symantec imaging products.)
Symantec Norton Ghost 15's version of the feature, which copies only entire partitions, performed quickly and perfectly in our tests. A notable annoyance: you must enter the program serial number each time you use the feature. Recovery doesn't require a serial number.
The only real drawbacks with Symantec Norton Ghost 15 relate to using the Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE)-based recovery CD. It's slow to boot, but more significantly it requires 1GB of RAM. While that may not seem like a lot these days, plenty of PCs top out at 512MB or less.
Unfortunately, the recovery CD has severe limitations, too. Once upon a time, in lieu of creating an image, Norton's recovery CDs offered a file browser that allowed copying at the file level. The browser is still there, but all file functions have been disabled. We wish Symantec would reinstate the file functions and stop assuming the worst of its users, who deserve to be treated as valued customers and not pirates.
IT managers in small and medium-size businesses will appreciate Symantec Norton Ghost 15's ability to schedule conversion of images to VMware ESX 3.5i/4.0i and 3.5/4.0 virtual machine format. The new version also offers support for Microsoft's Hyper-V virtual server format.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Facebook gives Windows 10 a hug with new Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram apps
- Elon Musk says Tesla’s next-gen Model 4 will be affordable for everyone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCIT Network SpecialistVIC
- CCIBM MDM SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Analyst Designer / AWS and AzureVIC
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer, renewable contractAsia
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCEnvironment AnalystVIC
- CCRelease Management LeadNSW
- CCHi-Portfolio ConsultantNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCUX Designer and UX ResearcherVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/JAVA/Oracle) 160504/SA/vtdAsia
- CCFull Stack Developers - JavaNSW
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA