Symantec Norton Ghost 15
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers
- Now makes images from boot disc, tonnes of features
- Slow boot disc requires 1GB of memory, must enter serial number to image from boot disc
Symantec's exceedingly powerful disk-imaging and backup program has a few usability annoyances.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
The update of Symantec Norton Ghost 15 substantially improves one of the most capable disk-imaging programs on the market.
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers. And all of the enhancements make this a powerful tool for anyone serious about backup and recovery.
For the average user, Windows 7 support, Blu-ray disc burning, and a feature Symantec has dubbed "cold imaging" are the most intriguing new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15.
Though most imaging products have offered cold imaging - the ability to create a backup image using the recovery CD - for years, it's certainly a welcome addition to Symantec Norton Ghost 15. (We've complained for ages about the feature's absence from Ghost and other Symantec imaging products.)
Symantec Norton Ghost 15's version of the feature, which copies only entire partitions, performed quickly and perfectly in our tests. A notable annoyance: you must enter the program serial number each time you use the feature. Recovery doesn't require a serial number.
The only real drawbacks with Symantec Norton Ghost 15 relate to using the Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE)-based recovery CD. It's slow to boot, but more significantly it requires 1GB of RAM. While that may not seem like a lot these days, plenty of PCs top out at 512MB or less.
Unfortunately, the recovery CD has severe limitations, too. Once upon a time, in lieu of creating an image, Norton's recovery CDs offered a file browser that allowed copying at the file level. The browser is still there, but all file functions have been disabled. We wish Symantec would reinstate the file functions and stop assuming the worst of its users, who deserve to be treated as valued customers and not pirates.
IT managers in small and medium-size businesses will appreciate Symantec Norton Ghost 15's ability to schedule conversion of images to VMware ESX 3.5i/4.0i and 3.5/4.0 virtual machine format. The new version also offers support for Microsoft's Hyper-V virtual server format.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: The busiest, biggest and best Samsung phablet
- 3 Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- 4 Nokia Lumia 735 review: Perfectly ordinary
- 5 Bowers & Wilkins P5 (Series 2) review: For elegant sound
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Webcam snooper now looking for a job
- Alienware’s push into the living room
- Traces of Regin malware may date back to 2006
- Hands-on with the Samsung NX1 camera
- Kobo develops an eReader for Australia's beaches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW