Symantec Norton Ghost 15
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers
- Now makes images from boot disc, tonnes of features
- Slow boot disc requires 1GB of memory, must enter serial number to image from boot disc
Symantec's exceedingly powerful disk-imaging and backup program has a few usability annoyances.
Price$ 79.99 (AUD)
The update of Symantec Norton Ghost 15 substantially improves one of the most capable disk-imaging programs on the market.
Some of the new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15 are of interest only to business IT managers, while others will appeal to consumers. And all of the enhancements make this a powerful tool for anyone serious about backup and recovery.
For the average user, Windows 7 support, Blu-ray disc burning, and a feature Symantec has dubbed "cold imaging" are the most intriguing new features in Symantec Norton Ghost 15.
Though most imaging products have offered cold imaging - the ability to create a backup image using the recovery CD - for years, it's certainly a welcome addition to Symantec Norton Ghost 15. (We've complained for ages about the feature's absence from Ghost and other Symantec imaging products.)
Symantec Norton Ghost 15's version of the feature, which copies only entire partitions, performed quickly and perfectly in our tests. A notable annoyance: you must enter the program serial number each time you use the feature. Recovery doesn't require a serial number.
The only real drawbacks with Symantec Norton Ghost 15 relate to using the Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE)-based recovery CD. It's slow to boot, but more significantly it requires 1GB of RAM. While that may not seem like a lot these days, plenty of PCs top out at 512MB or less.
Unfortunately, the recovery CD has severe limitations, too. Once upon a time, in lieu of creating an image, Norton's recovery CDs offered a file browser that allowed copying at the file level. The browser is still there, but all file functions have been disabled. We wish Symantec would reinstate the file functions and stop assuming the worst of its users, who deserve to be treated as valued customers and not pirates.
IT managers in small and medium-size businesses will appreciate Symantec Norton Ghost 15's ability to schedule conversion of images to VMware ESX 3.5i/4.0i and 3.5/4.0 virtual machine format. The new version also offers support for Microsoft's Hyper-V virtual server format.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Snapchat just got way easier to use thanks to a new search bar
- Microsoft is retiring the Blue Screen of Death for some users
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPIT Security AdvisorACT
- CCPeoplesoft SpecialistACT
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Cisco ISEVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkQLD
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)Other
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCIT Support AnalystVIC
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- FTEnterprise Sales ManagerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantACT
- FTTechnical Account ManagerACT
- FTService Delivery Manager - EnterpriseACT
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTInfrastructure ConsultantQLD
- CCBusiness Intelligence - BI and ReportingQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC
- TPAnsarada Data Room AdministratorNSW
- TPLevel 3 Systems EngineerWA
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTPerformance Reporting AnalystNSW
- CCLead DevOps Architect l AWS- Cloud- Linux- Puppet Ansible- JIRA-DatadogNSW