Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0
- New features
- Nothing of note
Unless you're looking at remote management - for which you need server versions of Acronis - True Image is a slightly better and cheaper product. But Ghost is extremely close on its heels, and is evidently improving. This is one example of competition being beneficial to the development of rival products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
There used to be a clear distinction between the two main applications that created a backup image of your hard drive: Norton Ghost benefited from simplicity, while Acronis True Image pushed ahead in terms of performance. Recent releases of True Image, however, have seen its interface become incredibly slick, while Ghost has added important features, such as incremental backups, that provide much faster operation and require less space.
While Ghost 11.0 saw Symantec's product make up ground on True Image's impressive performance, version 12.0 is more about adding features. LightsOut Restore allows you to recover your system without the need for a bootable disc and it's possible to convert a recovery point to a virtual disk with all known information about your PC.
Norton Ghost offers integration with Google Desktop, allowing you to search backup indexes to locate your data, as well as remote management of other installations of Norton Ghost if you purchase extra licences. This is a product that combines an extremely easy-to-use interface with considerable power at a reasonable price. There's no excuse not to backup with a utility such as this.
Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0 is an excellent and user-friendly product. However, Acronis True Image remains a marginally better buy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Snapchat just got way easier to use thanks to a new search bar
- Microsoft is retiring the Blue Screen of Death for some users
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCWeb Architect - Ruby, Python, Java, Open sourceNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Appian/PegaVIC
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC
- CCIT Support AnalystVIC
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)NSW
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)SA
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTProject Delivery Manager | PortfolioQLD
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- FTCloud Orchestration SpecialistVIC
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTBusiness Solutions SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTSDLC CoordinatorACT
- FTJava DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- CCWebMethod DeveloperVIC
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Security Engineer - Cisco ISEVIC