Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0
- New features
- Nothing of note
Unless you're looking at remote management - for which you need server versions of Acronis - True Image is a slightly better and cheaper product. But Ghost is extremely close on its heels, and is evidently improving. This is one example of competition being beneficial to the development of rival products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
There used to be a clear distinction between the two main applications that created a backup image of your hard drive: Norton Ghost benefited from simplicity, while Acronis True Image pushed ahead in terms of performance. Recent releases of True Image, however, have seen its interface become incredibly slick, while Ghost has added important features, such as incremental backups, that provide much faster operation and require less space.
While Ghost 11.0 saw Symantec's product make up ground on True Image's impressive performance, version 12.0 is more about adding features. LightsOut Restore allows you to recover your system without the need for a bootable disc and it's possible to convert a recovery point to a virtual disk with all known information about your PC.
Norton Ghost offers integration with Google Desktop, allowing you to search backup indexes to locate your data, as well as remote management of other installations of Norton Ghost if you purchase extra licences. This is a product that combines an extremely easy-to-use interface with considerable power at a reasonable price. There's no excuse not to backup with a utility such as this.
Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0 is an excellent and user-friendly product. However, Acronis True Image remains a marginally better buy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft Translator now translates text from images, increases language support
- YouTube dives into VR, live-streaming with 360 video
- Netflix stops insisting it will never support offline videos
- YouTube rolling out live 360-degree videos with immersive Coachella experience
- Podcasts are now on the air in Google Play Music
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCProject Coordinator (urgent) - Digital - Blue chip companyNSW
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer(IBM DB2/WebSphere)160419/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTBusiness Intelligence ConsultantSA
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Writer - Trading SystemsNSW
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Field Systems Engineer/Administrator - Multiple opportunitiesNSW
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCSenior ICT Project OfficerACT
- FTSolution Architect (Guidewire Billing Center)NSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC