Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0
- New features
- Nothing of note
Unless you're looking at remote management - for which you need server versions of Acronis - True Image is a slightly better and cheaper product. But Ghost is extremely close on its heels, and is evidently improving. This is one example of competition being beneficial to the development of rival products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
There used to be a clear distinction between the two main applications that created a backup image of your hard drive: Norton Ghost benefited from simplicity, while Acronis True Image pushed ahead in terms of performance. Recent releases of True Image, however, have seen its interface become incredibly slick, while Ghost has added important features, such as incremental backups, that provide much faster operation and require less space.
While Ghost 11.0 saw Symantec's product make up ground on True Image's impressive performance, version 12.0 is more about adding features. LightsOut Restore allows you to recover your system without the need for a bootable disc and it's possible to convert a recovery point to a virtual disk with all known information about your PC.
Norton Ghost offers integration with Google Desktop, allowing you to search backup indexes to locate your data, as well as remote management of other installations of Norton Ghost if you purchase extra licences. This is a product that combines an extremely easy-to-use interface with considerable power at a reasonable price. There's no excuse not to backup with a utility such as this.
Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0 is an excellent and user-friendly product. However, Acronis True Image remains a marginally better buy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
- New field test lets you install Android apps directly from Google search
- Survey says: Almost a third of US consumers on Windows 10
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | Projects & BAU | Coastal Newcastle NSWWA
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCAutomation QAVIC
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- CCIT Solution Designer (SOA / Web-services)NSW
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- CCHigh Level Network Engineer (Communications)WA
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- FTApplication Support AnalystVIC
- CCMid-level DevOps EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCEnterprise Architect - Network & InfrastructureNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia
- CCService ModellerNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - DigitalVIC
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA