Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0
- New features
- Nothing of note
Unless you're looking at remote management - for which you need server versions of Acronis - True Image is a slightly better and cheaper product. But Ghost is extremely close on its heels, and is evidently improving. This is one example of competition being beneficial to the development of rival products.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
There used to be a clear distinction between the two main applications that created a backup image of your hard drive: Norton Ghost benefited from simplicity, while Acronis True Image pushed ahead in terms of performance. Recent releases of True Image, however, have seen its interface become incredibly slick, while Ghost has added important features, such as incremental backups, that provide much faster operation and require less space.
While Ghost 11.0 saw Symantec's product make up ground on True Image's impressive performance, version 12.0 is more about adding features. LightsOut Restore allows you to recover your system without the need for a bootable disc and it's possible to convert a recovery point to a virtual disk with all known information about your PC.
Norton Ghost offers integration with Google Desktop, allowing you to search backup indexes to locate your data, as well as remote management of other installations of Norton Ghost if you purchase extra licences. This is a product that combines an extremely easy-to-use interface with considerable power at a reasonable price. There's no excuse not to backup with a utility such as this.
Symantec Norton Ghost 12.0 is an excellent and user-friendly product. However, Acronis True Image remains a marginally better buy.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Tech21 Evo Xplorer iPhone case review
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Latest News Articles
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- PowerDVD 16 gains 360-degree video playback: Here's how it works
- Microsoft will miss its one billion Windows 10 device target
- Google is working to make every website viewable in VR
- Twitter's new stickers are more useful than Snapchat
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Support AnalystSA
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW