Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2007
- High viral detection rate, Good disinfection performance
- Slow to respond to outbreaks, turns off Windows Vista features upon installation
Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007 is in the upper echelon when it comes to anti-virus software.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007 is in the upper echelon when it comes to anti-virus software. It sports an attractive and easy-to-use interface and scored an overall virus detection rate of 96 percent in our tests.
It was the slow to respond to virus outbreaks taking an average of 10 to 12 hours to deliver new signatures. Not only that, its proactive protection is only mediocre as it caught about half of the unknown threats in our test using one-month-old signatures.
Norton performed well in our disinfection tests, second only to Kaspersky. It cleaned up 18 out of 22 possible items, missing only one of the two changes to the Hosts network settings file and three less-important registry items.
Symantec has incorporated the new SONAR behavioral analysis technology for proactive protection. The program scans both e-mail and Web traffic, covering the POP3, SMTP, and HTTP protocols and also ties into the MSN, Yahoo, and AOL instant messaging programs (though it protects only MSN by default).
During our design tests on Windows Vista Ultimate, the program turned off the built-in Windows Defender anti-spyware utility without notice. This is not because the utility conflicts, according to the company, but because Symantec feels "Windows Defender offers no value beyond what Norton offers." BitDefender Antivirus 10 was the only other program we have seen that disables Defender when it installs.
Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2007 also triggered multiple UAC (User Account Control) alerts when we changed settings, which could easily annoy power users who might want to customize the application.
Norton AntiVirus costs US$49.95 initially but, strangely, Symantec offers only yearly renewal fee of $59.95, making it one of the more expensive antivirus options in the long term.
We tested the Vista version of Symantec Norton Antivirus 2007 but an XP version of the software is also available.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- nbn on track to meet its financial year plan: Bill Morrow
- Foxtel, Village and ISPs yet to agree on the cost of blocking pirate sites
- Craig Wright backpedals, refusing to prove he's Bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto
- Windows 10 adoption hits 300 million as Microsoft warns the free upgrade will end soon
- May the Fourth be with you: 4 Star Wars tech tributes you can actually use
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect, Financial ServicesAsia
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerVIC
- FTFunctional Business AnalystNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCIBM Sterling Developer + IBM Sterling Team LeaderNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectACT
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperSA
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCCloud Service Solution LeadVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Portfolio Services ManagementNSW
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Team Lead | Billing & CreditVIC
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCService Desk OperatorACT
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW