Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
The Valkyrie Profile franchise has been going strong for over a decade now
- Addictive and accessible gameplay, fun-to-master battle mechanics
- Excessive text dialogue, formulaic presentation
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is an addictive RPG that is able to adequately separate itself from the me-too crowd with an accessible and unique battle system. It's surprisingly simple to pick up and play, but like any good RPG worth its weight in gold pieces, the real reward comes from mastering its finer points.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Square Enix Kingdom Hearts II: Sora Play Arts K... 477.99
The Valkyrie Profile franchise has been going strong for over a decade now. Ever since the original debuted on the original PlayStation, fans have been looting and leveling their way through instalments of the Norse mythology-infused RPG series. DS owners have had to wait patiently to get their hands on a Valkyrie title but it was worth the wait: Covenant of the Plume is a deep, yet accessible experience that franchise fans can be proud of yet it's accessible enough that even newcomers will find it difficult to put down.
As Wylfred, a young warrior seeking vengeance against a god for his father's death, players embark on a battle-heavy quest, complete with the requisite lush fantasy lands, mythological beasts, and NPC's that like to talk a bit too much. Of course, angsty heroes that wouldn't look out of place in a boy band are also out in full force. The game's coolest feature, its battle system, is about 90% turn-based and 10% real-time, allowing for a compelling mix of cerebral tactical strategy cut with the satisfying ability to whack your enemies with giant swords. The system unfolds on an isometric grid, encouraging effective flanking attacks that make for some rewarding encounters, especially when your screen is brimming with baddies. Once engaged, you're able to unleash all members of your party-mapped to the four face buttons -- individually and in supported strikes for a variety of melee, ranged and magic-based attacks.
The Weight of a Quill
The titular feather also plays a significant role in the game's battling, as Wylfred can assign its power to an ally, granting him or her with near-invincible skills. The battlefield-clearing upgrade comes with a steep price, though, as the melee's conclusion will see the plume's host so overwhelmed by its power that they drop dead. This tide-turning mechanic really ups the ante when the odds are against you, forcing a weighty decision be made that could find you choosing success, but with deep sacrifice in the heat of battle.
Fantasy RPG fans will find a lot of familiarity in Covenant of the Plume's somewhat formulaic story and presentation, but the addictive battling and character leveling should keep them gripped till the closing credits. The title's refreshing accessibility also makes it a perfect entry point for those new to this under-the-radar franchise. Just be careful who you give that feather to.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC review impressions: This gorgeous, mostly smooth game is no Unity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- FTTechnical Lead (Java)NSW
- CCJava Developer - Front/ Back EndVIC
- CCService Desk ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Applications PackagerSA
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- PTService Desk OperatorSA
- CCOperations AnalystNSW
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTServer EngineerNSW
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTIT Cyber Security Requirements ConsultantACT