Square Enix Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Finally, Rocket, the blue blob mascot of the Dragon Warrior franchise gets his own adventure on the Nintendo DS.
- Simple, fun
- Simple, short
The simplicity and relatively short play time of the game may turn off some gamers, but others, especially those who don't have a lot of time on their hands, might find this one a keeper.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
The premise? Rocket's hometown, Boingburg, is invaded by the evil Plobs who have captured all the slimes.Your mission? To rescue each and every one of them, and, consequently, take down the Plobs in order to ensure peace for all.
One of the main attractions of Rocket Slime lies in its simplistic gameplay. The control scheme is very elementary and straightforward, consisting only of the D-pad and the B button. The touchscreen interface is scarcely used, if at all, in this game; however, for this kind of adventure genre, using a stylus is largely unnecessary.
There is virtually no learning curve in Rocketslime because of the simple control system and the fact that there's really only one attack move — the Elasto Blast. Rocket stretches himself out and slingshots like a rubber band towards baddies, across obstacles, or into treasure chests to spill forth their contents (which often times happen to be your fellow slimes).
In addition, Rocket can float momentarily in the air and can also bounce to travel from one place to another or roll across the landscape at incredible speeds. He can also carry up to three items or monsters on his back, which can then be thrown at other monsters. Furthermore, instead of giving him a backpack, Rocket must either go back to town with the items and/or monsters on him or throw the items and/or monsters onto the trains that run from all levels back to town in order to keep them in Rocket's inventory.
Tank You Very Much
What makes Rocket Slime different from other games is the tank battles. In order to save some of the slimes, Rocket must challenge baddies to a tank battle which consists of Rocket loading ammo into cannons and firing them away at an enemy tank. The ammo can be anything that was found during his journey, ranging from broken statues and treasure chests to swords and bombs.
There is also the element of alchemy which allows players to combine items to make new, perhaps even better ones. Tank battles can get quite challenging, and although it may sound dry in theory, the cartoony attitude of the game as a whole, as well as the various obstacles that may arise during the tank battles make them more addicting than cumbersome.
A few simple puzzles do exist in the form of duplicating a combination of items and/or monsters carried on you while standing on a certain spot; however, the game never gets so difficult where one might give up from frustration. The pun-filled, borderline cheesy dialogue, the characters, the gameplay and the different levels give the game a personality.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
- Rising Thunder is a PC-exclusive robot brawler built by Street Fighter talent
- Nintendo's President Iwata's death comes as firm tries to move to mobile
- Need for Speed puts The Fast and the Furious back into street racing
- Batman: Arkham Knight: How bad are the issues? Pretty bad.
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW