Square Enix Chrono Trigger
One of the best releases of 2008.
- An amazing update to one of the best console RPG games ever produced
- The only bad thing is that the game eventually ends
Square Enix knocks one out of the park with this superb re-release of the one of the most influential games in role playing history!
Normally, when I hear that a classic game is being ported to a handheld, I become skeptical because the usual result is a no-frills port meant to cash in on gamers' nostalgia. But thankfully, Square Enix isn't that kind of company. They put a lot of care into their ports and I'm incredibly happy to report that they truly went the extra mile with Chrono Trigger DS. They've kept the magic of the original intact while adding subtle improvements and innovative features that truly enhance the classic experience. It is without a doubt one of the best releases of 2008.
A Timeless Classic
Chrono Trigger's time-bending narrative is really well served by the DS' hardware. The touch screen is put to excellent use, with things like an overhead map and inventory access laid out in an intuitive manner-everything you need to keep your party in shape is right there at your stylus tip. You can literally swap out party members, equip them with the latest gear, save your game, and never have to hit the pause button.
When you engage in combat, the touch screen displays an in-depth battle menu, allowing you to select techniques, items, magics and target specific enemies with the stylus in real time. This makes the battles flow like clockwork, with quick, responsive menus that you can navigate with ease. But the best part is that there is a Classic mode that you can switch to on the fly in case you want to keep it old school and use standard controls.
Back To The Future
Chrono Trigger DS also includes the fantastic animated cut-scenes from the Final Fantasy Chronicles re-release as well as a touched-up script and a brand new Arena mode. In the game's Arena, you're given the task of raising a small Nu monster and sending him through various time periods to train and learn new techniques. Once trained, you can pit your monster against other players via the game's Wi-Fi support, or simply battle the computer. It's a quirky and interesting diversion that only adds to the massive Chrono Trigger universe by supplying the player with even more to do.
By this point the verdict is obvious: I can't recommend Chrono Trigger DS highly enough. The original was a classic in its own right but Square Enix has made it even more special with this excellent handheld port. Regardless of whether you played it already or are new to the series, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing title.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC review impressions: This gorgeous, mostly smooth game is no Unity
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- FTFunctional Business Analyst - Commodities and FX DomainNSW
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - BaselineACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Telecommunications) / Melb CBDVIC
- CCHigh Level Network Engineer (Communications)WA
- FTSoftware Developer - Ruby on RailsNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCITIL Release Manager - CBD SYDNEYNSW
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Oracle ProcurementSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- CCCitrix Systems EngineerNSW
- CCOracle CC&B Technical AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Crystal Reports) 160129/AP/vhs-aAsia