Square Enix Chrono Trigger
One of the best releases of 2008.
- An amazing update to one of the best console RPG games ever produced
- The only bad thing is that the game eventually ends
Square Enix knocks one out of the park with this superb re-release of the one of the most influential games in role playing history!
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Normally, when I hear that a classic game is being ported to a handheld, I become skeptical because the usual result is a no-frills port meant to cash in on gamers' nostalgia. But thankfully, Square Enix isn't that kind of company. They put a lot of care into their ports and I'm incredibly happy to report that they truly went the extra mile with Chrono Trigger DS. They've kept the magic of the original intact while adding subtle improvements and innovative features that truly enhance the classic experience. It is without a doubt one of the best releases of 2008.
A Timeless Classic
Chrono Trigger's time-bending narrative is really well served by the DS' hardware. The touch screen is put to excellent use, with things like an overhead map and inventory access laid out in an intuitive manner-everything you need to keep your party in shape is right there at your stylus tip. You can literally swap out party members, equip them with the latest gear, save your game, and never have to hit the pause button.
When you engage in combat, the touch screen displays an in-depth battle menu, allowing you to select techniques, items, magics and target specific enemies with the stylus in real time. This makes the battles flow like clockwork, with quick, responsive menus that you can navigate with ease. But the best part is that there is a Classic mode that you can switch to on the fly in case you want to keep it old school and use standard controls.
Back To The Future
Chrono Trigger DS also includes the fantastic animated cut-scenes from the Final Fantasy Chronicles re-release as well as a touched-up script and a brand new Arena mode. In the game's Arena, you're given the task of raising a small Nu monster and sending him through various time periods to train and learn new techniques. Once trained, you can pit your monster against other players via the game's Wi-Fi support, or simply battle the computer. It's a quirky and interesting diversion that only adds to the massive Chrono Trigger universe by supplying the player with even more to do.
By this point the verdict is obvious: I can't recommend Chrono Trigger DS highly enough. The original was a classic in its own right but Square Enix has made it even more special with this excellent handheld port. Regardless of whether you played it already or are new to the series, you owe it to yourself to check out this amazing title.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- EVE Valkyrie's new Carrier Assault mode will fulfill your Millennium Falcon dreams
- Doom co-creator John Romero teases new PC shooter
- Microsoft kills off its Xbox 360 gaming console, but Xbox 360 games will live on thanks to Xbox One
- Google Play Games 3.7 enables new Gamer ID feature, ditches Google+ sign-in
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolutions Architect - Network and InfrastructureNSW
- CCAccount Manager - Software Solutions - Global IT CompanyNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCAdobe Experience Manager AEM / CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCProduct SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- FTInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSenior DBA / Team LeadVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCProcurement Contract SpecialistQLD
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTHands-on Service Desk Team Lead | Blackburn | Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW