- Packed with features including still/video camera and video recorder, outputs to TV
- Slow to index files, crashes occasionally
The Sorell SV-10 includes an enormous range of features, like direct encoding, FM radio support, and a 1.3 megapixel camera, but a few software issues hold the player back.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Korean-manufactured SV-10 features 20GB of memory in an attractive silver and grey package, and rolls in a number of features that set it apart from other media players. For a start, it offers an inbuilt 1.3 megapixel camera. It's also capable of recording video at a maximum of 15 frames per second at 640 x 480, or 30fps at 320 x 240 pixels, and has the ability to record FM radio straight to MP3.
The Sorell SV-10 ships with a massive a range of extras including an RCA adapter, USB charge cable, headphones, pouch with belt clip, strap, polishing cloth, and software bundle. A basic manual is also provided, but it is both well laid out and easy to read and understand.
The device is compatible with a wide range of formats, including MPEG 1/2/2.5/layer-3 and WMA audio, along with AVI, ASF, WMV, XviD and DivX (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) video files. Another handy feature is specific support for SMI movie subtitles.
The device measures 116 x 78 x 23mm and weighs a mere 220g. The colour screen measures 3.5" and is clear and bright. Sorell has done a good job in cramming a lot of functions and features into a physically small space. Both line-in and out connectors are on the left-hand face, while power input, USB and headphones are on the right.
On the left-hand side of the screen is a small joystick that controls navigation. It works well--even for those with larger fingers--and the placement of power and function buttons on the right-hand side of the screen means the device can be operated with two hands. LEDs are present to indicate power and charge, and a microphone input sits above the display.
You can plug the device into a TV using the supplied RCA composite adapter and play back media content in your lounge room. The lithium polymer battery lasted for seven hours of video playback and about 13 for music. The SV-10 is backed up by a one-year warranty.
A few little glitches let the machine down. For instance, every time you turn the machine on to play music, it re-indexes your MP3 collection. On a database of 1000 songs, this process took 14 seconds, during which time the device was unusable. It also locked up a couple times during testing, giving us the impression that while the device offers plenty of features, it requires a little more polish.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 2 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 3 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 4 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 5 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW