- Packed with features including still/video camera and video recorder, outputs to TV
- Slow to index files, crashes occasionally
The Sorell SV-10 includes an enormous range of features, like direct encoding, FM radio support, and a 1.3 megapixel camera, but a few software issues hold the player back.
Price$ 799.00 (AUD)
The Korean-manufactured SV-10 features 20GB of memory in an attractive silver and grey package, and rolls in a number of features that set it apart from other media players. For a start, it offers an inbuilt 1.3 megapixel camera. It's also capable of recording video at a maximum of 15 frames per second at 640 x 480, or 30fps at 320 x 240 pixels, and has the ability to record FM radio straight to MP3.
The Sorell SV-10 ships with a massive a range of extras including an RCA adapter, USB charge cable, headphones, pouch with belt clip, strap, polishing cloth, and software bundle. A basic manual is also provided, but it is both well laid out and easy to read and understand.
The device is compatible with a wide range of formats, including MPEG 1/2/2.5/layer-3 and WMA audio, along with AVI, ASF, WMV, XviD and DivX (3.x, 4.x and 5.x) video files. Another handy feature is specific support for SMI movie subtitles.
The device measures 116 x 78 x 23mm and weighs a mere 220g. The colour screen measures 3.5" and is clear and bright. Sorell has done a good job in cramming a lot of functions and features into a physically small space. Both line-in and out connectors are on the left-hand face, while power input, USB and headphones are on the right.
On the left-hand side of the screen is a small joystick that controls navigation. It works well--even for those with larger fingers--and the placement of power and function buttons on the right-hand side of the screen means the device can be operated with two hands. LEDs are present to indicate power and charge, and a microphone input sits above the display.
You can plug the device into a TV using the supplied RCA composite adapter and play back media content in your lounge room. The lithium polymer battery lasted for seven hours of video playback and about 13 for music. The SV-10 is backed up by a one-year warranty.
A few little glitches let the machine down. For instance, every time you turn the machine on to play music, it re-indexes your MP3 collection. On a database of 1000 songs, this process took 14 seconds, during which time the device was unusable. It also locked up a couple times during testing, giving us the impression that while the device offers plenty of features, it requires a little more polish.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- CCSystem admin with SQL server experience | Defence-wide project | NV1 neededACT
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- FTDigital Sales Manager - Online MediaNSW
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW