Sony Ericsson Z750i
- Stylish design, HSDPA-capable, access to full suite of Next G content and applications, external OLED display
- No real outstanding features, flip mechanism
The Z750i is a solid, but far from outstanding phone. Its 'Blue Tick' rating means it should appeal to those in rural areas but for the rest of us, there are certainly better choices not based on a design that's already a few months old.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sporting a glossy, mirror-like surface with a disappearing external display, the Sony Ericsson Z750i looks almost identical to the Z610i. This HSDPA-capable handset is exclusive to Telstra's Next G network and is one of a handful of Telstra handsets bearing the 'Blue Tick' for recommended coverage in rural areas of Australia.
Unfortunately, we weren't able to drive out to a rural area to test the handset's reception, but suffice to say, coverage is excellent in metropolitan areas. The Z750i offers above average voice quality and decent volume levels. Of course, it offers full access to the BigPond content portal, including the Foxtel Mobile TV service and WhereIs Navigator. Speeds are reasonable for a HSDPA phone, though the display isn't really recommended for long viewing; it's a little small for watching video.
The outstanding aesthetic feature of the Z750i is the external OLED display. Virtually invisible when not in operation due to the reflective, mirror surface, the display only appears when you receive a new message, call or calendar notification. Although the surface is a fingerprint magnet, it's quite effective. The curved edging means the phone slides easily into a pocket, but the flip mechanism isn't spring operated and doesn't feel smooth. Inside, the keyboard and controls are excellent with the five-way navigational pad bearing the grunt of the work.
The included media player supports playback of MP3 and AAC files and the A2DP Bluetooth profile means you can wirelessly stream your music to a compatible set of headphones. There are basic play settings such as shuffle and loop, a five-band preset equaliser and stereo widening settings. Unfortunately the MP3 capabilities are let-down by the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack.
The 2-megapixel camera lacks flash and autofocus, but it does a decent job for the odd happy snap. Panorama, 2.5x digital zoom, frames and burst shooting mode and a 10-second self-timer are all included and the camera doubles as a video recorder, albeit quite a poor one. For video calling on the Next G network, a VGA camera is mounted above the internal display. RSS feeds and blogging are also included. In a couple of easy steps you can take a photo, write a small snippet of text and publish it on the Internet as a blog – all through the phone itself.
The Z750i includes just 32MB of internal memory but it supports Memory Stick Micro (M2) and a 128MB M2 card is included in the sales package. PIM functions include alarms, calendar, tasks, notes, calculator, timer, stopwatch and synchronisation with a PC. The Z750i should also keep you entertained with Java games, video, photo and music DJ applications and a sound recorder.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Huawei female watch review: Bringing out your inner fashionista
- 4 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 5 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Blackberry announces DETK50, a secure US$299 Android phone
- Samsung files artificial muscle patent for use in flexible smartphones
- The affordable new Moto E grows in size, but not price
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 821 is now the company's fastest mobile chip
- Snapchat launches Memories so you can save and search for past stories
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork Engineer - NV2 ClearanceVIC
- CCData Integration specialistACT
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperSA
- FTFull Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- CCSAP BODS ConsultantNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCStrategic Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCSenior Systems SpecialistNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCTest AnalystACT