Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 smartphone (preview)
The first Sony Ericsson mobile phone that runs Google's Android platform
- Refreshing design, Timescape and Mediascape have potential
- Remains to be seen if Timescape and Mediascape will be truly useful
Sony Ericsson's first Android phone, the XPERIA X10 has two features that set it apart from most other Android phones on the market: Timescape and Mediascape.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Sony Ericsson's XPERIA X10 smartphone, the company's first handset to run Google's Android operating system, was announced well before Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. However, for many people MWC was the first chance to get some one on one time with the phone. We were lucky enough to get our hands on an almost-final version — here are our thoughts.
Firstly, the physical design of the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 is certainly refreshing. With every touch-screen smartphone starting to resemble the iPhone in terms of looks, Sony Ericsson’s choice of glossy white plastic and curved back and edges gives the X10 a unique look and feel. It feels comfortable to hold and well constructed despite the plastic casing.
Although our demo model was still a preproduction version, the software couldn't be accused of lacking speed. We found it swift to open and close applications, smooth to swipe through menus and responsive to finger presses and gestures. The entire UI looks clean and feels polished — we think it's an improvement over Google’s own Nexus One smartphone.
The XPERIA X10 has two features that set it apart from most other Android phones on the market — Timescape and Mediascape. Timescape is a central communications hub, while Mediascape is, predictably, an entertainment hub. The idea here is that all your communications and media are contained in a single menu structure, eliminating multiple folders, icons, and separate applications. For example, you can see an individual's SMS messages, Facebook status updates, e-mails and tweets all from a single location, effectively eliminating the need to open four separate applications.
The question that remains unanswered is whether people will use this feature on a day-to-day basis. Often, we find that these types of features sound and look effective, but don’t end up being practical in everyday situations.
Ross Catanzariti travelled to Mobile World Congress 2010 as a guest of Samsung.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Telstra restores mobile network after mass outage
- Amaysim wins with lowest TIO complaints
- Optus moves into wearables space with Cash by Optus
- 7 smartphone trends to watch this year
- LG G5 to debut on February 21, going head-to-head with Galaxy S7
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTProject Coordinator - My Learning Space (Oracle iLearning)NSW
- CCDesktop Support L1, 2 & 3NSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/Mobile App) 160115/JP/vhaAsia
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCTest AnalystACT
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager - NV1 clearance mandatoryNSW
- FTCyber Security SpecialistNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- FTFull Stack & Mobile EngineersNSW
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCCisco Network EngineerNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCPortfolio-Program SchedulerNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCWintel Engineer with Sharepoint 2010 / 2013NSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCObjective ECMS Technical ConsultantSA
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC