Sony Ericsson W995 mobile phone
Sony Ericsson's new flagship Walkman phone offers a wealth of features
- 3.5mm headphone jack, 8-megapixel camera, GPS, HSDPA, Wi-Fi, Media Go software
- Boring/bland design, a little chunky, kickstand feels flimsy, price
Sony Ericsson's W995 is the first Walkman phone to feature a 3.5mm headphone jack and a camera with Carl Zeiss optics. Its design could use some improvement, it's overpriced and we would have liked a larger screen, but the W995 is still one of the best Walkman mobile phones.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's W995 is the company's new flagship Walkman phone. Although it may look like yet another run-of-the-mill Walkman handset, the W995 ups the ante by merging the best bits of the Cyber-shot and Walkman ranges to produce a mobile phone with an 8-megapixel camera, a 3.5mm headphone jack and a kickstand for multimedia viewing.
Aesthetically, the Sony Ericsson W995 is a mixed bag; this is probably the most disappointing aspect of this mobile phone. Aside from being quite thick, the bland black finish certainly doesn't do this handset any justice. A new feature is a chrome kickstand that allows the W995 to sit up at an angle when placed on a flat surface. It feels a little flimsy, and the screen really isn't large enough to adequately experience videos. However, the phone feels well built, and the spring-operated slider is steady.
The Sony Ericsson W995 is controlled via a rather large five-way navigation pad, along with two selection buttons, answer and end call keys and dedicated clear and shortcut keys. Considering the space surrounding the navigation pad, the selection buttons could have been larger and the answer and end call keys moved away from the edge of the handset. On the right side of the phone are media playback controls, a dedicated camera button and volume controls that double as zoom keys for the camera. The W995's keypad is a little disappointing. It's not the worst we've seen, but the keys are quite small and flat, even though they are well spaced. The glossy surface also makes it easy for your fingers to slide off while typing.
The Sony Ericsson W995 includes the latest Walkman music software, which is integrated closely with multimedia features including photos, videos, games and Web feeds. The W995 is the first Walkman mobile phone to feature a 3.5mm headphone jack — a feature that we've been asking for every time a new Walkman handset comes out. Even with the stock headphones, the sound quality is excellent. Equaliser presets include treble, heavy, pop, jazz, normal, unique, soul, easy and bass. Stereo widening, clear bass and clear stereo are also present.
Sony Ericsson has included new media management software with the W995: Media Go Experience. Media Go transcodes any audio, photos or videos into the best quality format supported by the W995, taking the hassle out of finding multiple programs to do so. The program is well designed and was speedy during our tests. It also offers a quick way to upload the converted files straight to the handset.
Sony Ericsson's TrackID feature allows you to record a few seconds of any song and send the snippet to a music database. If the song is recognised in the database, the title, album and artist name details are sent back to you. The W995 Walkman phone includes A2DP Bluetooth and an FM radio, along with Shake It! and SensMe technologies. Shake It! allows you to skip tracks by simply shaking the phone, while SensMe allows you to create a playlist based entirely on mood and tempo.
In addition to HSDPA connectivity, the W995 mobile phone boasts Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and DLNA media sharing, making it one of the most feature-packed Walkman handsets available. An 8-megapixel camera with autofocus, a Carl Zeiss lens and an LED flash takes excellent photos, while a front-mounted VGA camera means you can make video calls over a 3G network. The W995 Walkman phone comes with just 25MB of internal memory, but the included 8GB Memory Stick Micro (M2) should be enough to satisfy most users.
Other features of the W995 Walkman phone include some of Sony Ericsson's proprietary applications such as VideoDJ, PhotoDJ and Music DJ. There's also remote control and sound recording functions and a host of organiser features including calendar, tasks, notes, alarms, calculator, synchronisation, timer and stopwatch.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Latest News Articles
- Xiaomi planning second version of its revolutionary Mi Mix ‘bezel-less’ phone
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
- Now you can control your smart devices from your Pixel, no Google Home required
- Everything we think we know about the LG G6
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- Horizon Zero Dawn review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Japan's pop culture, anime-friendly, J-Pop shrine, Kanda Myojin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- CCTest Analysts - MainframeACT
- FTFront-End DevOps Developer/Consultant - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)WA
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- CCPerformance Test AnalystQLD
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Contract - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW