Sony Ericsson W660i
- Solid build quality, bright clear screen, user interface
- Cramped keypad, a little expensive for features offered
The W660i has a solid, polished feel and comes with a slick user interface, but the cramped keypad is a downside
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
The stylish 3G enabled W660i from Sony Ericsson is the latest in the Walkman range, and it boasts a slim form-factor and Walkman 2.0 software.
The W660i has the usual main features you'd expect from a modern phone - MMS, SMS, email, instant messaging, Bluetooth, and USB 2.0. Video calling is also available.
It has a bright, well illuminated 262k colour screen with a resolution of 176x220 pixels. The default 'Walkman' theme has a slick, clean feel and the large text is easy to read. We noticed that the alternate themes can slow down the responsiveness of general navigation, and can be a little slow to light-up from standby. The viewing angle of the display is impressive.
The W660i comes with 16MB of in-built memory, and our review unit was supplied with a 512MB Sony Memory Stick Micro via the expansion slot.
Getting organised is easy thanks to a robust feature set of alarm, calendar, notes, reminders, task list, and timer. All note-type features are able to set reminder alarms to go off, just in case you need another reminder at a later time or date.
As this is a Walkman phone, the MP3 player that comes with it is feature packed, but keep in mind that extra memory will have to be added for more than a few songs. Navigation is easy and simple, with album artwork, time, and track number shown while playing audio. Unfortunately, the text size for the song information is small and is sometimes hard to read in bright light. The W660i includes proprietary earphones; if you want to use your own, you'll have to purchase a 3.5mm adaptor.
The quality of the 2 megapixel camera with 2.5x digital zoom is very good in a well-lit area. The clarity of the pictures we took in a general office environment under 'normal' mode were impressive with their crispness. The camera offers additional features such as video, shoot mode, night mode, self-timer, effects, white balance and picture quality. Shoot mode gave additional options such as panorama, framing and burst.
One interesting feature the W660i comes with is 'TrackID', a service which allows you to take a small recording of a song from the radio or speaker, then send it over the internet. You will then get a reply of the information of the song, including song title, artist, and album name if it is available.
As nice as it looks and feels, the black coating on the W660i smudges very easily and does detract from the smooth finish. Controls consist of a five-way keypad, two selection keys, two back/clear keys and two shortcut keys. Both the backlit navigational keys and the keypad are small, so they can be frustrating at times when navigating the menus or quickly typing a SMS.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Fake heads and robot probes: testing smartphones prior to launch
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
- Xiaomi's Mi6 has the Galaxy S7’s looks, the S8’s power, and iPhone 7’s camera for half the price
- Samsung DeX turns your Galaxy S8 into a shockingly good desktop PC
- Find My iPhone helps nab a thief at Coachella with 100 phones in his backpack
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsSA
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- CCTest Analyst - Oracle CC&BVIC
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystVIC
- TPProject ServicesACT
- FTLead DevOps EngineerNSW
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)QLD
- CCCitrix SpecialistACT
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTIT Service Owner - Supply Chain TechnologiesNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- TPData AnalystQLD
- CCCitrix SpecialistVIC
- CCPMO Analyst - Telco - MelbourneVIC
- CCAutomation TesterNSW
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst/Project ManagerQLD
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT