Sony Ericsson MBW-150 Music Edition
- Vibration alert, caller ID information on screen, music controls
- Limited functionality, price
The MBW-150 Music Edition offers the same functions as the rest of the MBW-150 range, so we're not sure why it has been called the "Music Edition". It remains an expensive device considering the features offered.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson has released a second range of Bluetooth watches, but the major differences are in design, rather than function. The MBW-150 Music Edition is part of one of three models in the new range of watches that wirelessly synchronise with your mobile phone to alert you of incoming calls and messages.
The new range aims to suit all styles and tastes, and the Music Edition features a large, round face with a black, rubber band. Aside from the bright orange music keys on the left side of the watch, there is no other indication that this is an electronic device, so it can be easily worn without being connected to your phone. Although it comes down to a matter of personal preference, we much prefer the style of Sony Ericsson's original watch, the MBW-100 Bluetooth Watch.
Towards the bottom of the face lies an OLED display. A bright orange backlight notifies you when your phone rings, as well as when you receive an SMS or MMS message. If the caller is stored in your phonebook, the MBW-150 displays the name; if not, then just the number is displayed. When a new message is received, a small message icon appears on the display. Unfortunately, you can't actually read your message on the MBW-150 -- it certainly would have been extremely practical for the message to scroll across the display, so we are hoping this may be an addition to future models. Conveniently, the watch vibrates when notifications appear, although this function can be turned off if you wish.
The MBW-150 naturally allows you to control music playback on your phone thanks to dedicated music controls. You can select previous and next track, adjust the volume, and play and stop your music. Pressing the top key three times displays track information on the display, though this function only works on selected Sony Ericsson phones. We're not sure why this is called the music edition though, as it has the exact same functionality as the other MBW-150 units.
Two selection buttons adorn the right side of the watch; one scrolls through the menu items, the other selects them. Pressing the top selection button displays the date and a battery life indicator, but only for a few seconds -- there is no way to have this displayed all the time.
Being a Bluetooth device, the MBW-150 naturally needs to be charged via AC power, though it should last about half a week before needing a recharge. An adapter is included in the sales package that connects to a regular Sony Ericsson charger. The strangest and most perplexing aspect of the unit is once again the fact that when the battery runs out, the watch itself stops working.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- This sticker can wirelessly charge your smartphone or tablet
- Google's modular smartphone project sacrificed its original vision to move forward
- Android device updates: HTC 10 is getting stability fixes and preview 3 is headed to Android N
- Google I/O 2016: Every Android app – really – is coming to Chrome
- Zip! Pow! Google debuts Android Instant Apps that load without installation
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCMobility SpcialistACT
- CCNV1 Consultant | Groundbreaking Defence decision support applicationACT
- CCTransition Project ManagerNSW
- CCSoftware DevelopersACT
- FTSystems EngineerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCQA OfficerACT
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCechnical Specialist ApplicationsACT
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- CCTechnical System Engineer (Linux/Mobile/SQL)160524/TSE/vmtAsia
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- CCTIBCO Integration ConsultantVIC
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL/Web) 160519/AP/453Asia
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- CCRelease Manager, InfrastructureNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT