Sony Ericsson K660i
- Sleek and stylish design, HSDPA-capable, Internet shortcut keys, included M2 card for storage
- No real outstanding features, display too small for Web browsing
The K660i's Web shortcut keys are a nice touch. It's a solid but far from outstanding handset.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
A low- to mid-range handset clearly aimed at younger buyers, Sony Ericsson's K660i is a solid but far from outstanding mobile phone. Its Web browsing features and HSDPA network speeds are nice, but this isn't really a handset you'd expect to use for frequent mobile Web browsing.
In terms of design, the K660i is sleek and stylish. A nice touch is the chrome surround combined with the glossy black finish on the front and rear of the unit. Although the K660i is quite light, it feels relatively well built and definitely capable of taking a few knocks.
Although we aren't fond of the round keypad buttons, they do a decent job and we managed to achieve relatively quick messaging speeds. The K660i would have been best served with regular square buttons, as those with large hands may have trouble pressing the correct keys. A five-way navigational pad just below the display does the rest of the work, along with two selection buttons and shortcut and clear keys. Unfortunately, the answer and end call keys are tiny and squashed towards the edge of the handset.
Sony Ericsson has touted the K660i as being ideal for mobile Web browsing, but, given its small display, we disagree. It does, however, have a row of Internet shortcut keys (buttons 3, 6, 9 and #) that are quite handy. These include Google search, bookmarks, a programmable shortcut key (Planet 3 if you are on the 3 Mobile network) and a pan-and-zoom function. In the end though, such a small display simply isn't ideal for Web browsing.
Aside from the mobile browsing features, the K660i is hardly noteworthy. There is a 2-megapixel camera on the rear that doubles as a video recorder, but ,with no flash or auto-focus, photos produced aren't good enough for anything more than a few wallpaper snaps.
A photo viewer, music player and video player handle multimedia functions. The K660i also features an FM radio. The handset utilises the same multimedia interface as the Walkman range of handsets, which is a nice touch. Unfortunately, there is no 3.5mm headphone jack—a shame as the included ear buds are low quality.
Sony Ericsson's excellent TrackID feature is present. This allows you to record a few seconds of any song using the external microphone. The recording is then sent to a music database and, if the song is recognised, the title, album and artist name are sent to you. The K660i also features A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), which enables you to wirelessly stream your music to a compatible pair of Bluetooth headphones.
Being HSDPA capable, the K660i supports the UMTS 2100MHz band, along with quad-band GSM and EDGE. 30MB of internal memory is standard, but a 256MB Memory Stick Micro (M2) is included.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- This sticker can wirelessly charge your smartphone or tablet
- Google's modular smartphone project sacrificed its original vision to move forward
- Android device updates: HTC 10 is getting stability fixes and preview 3 is headed to Android N
- Google I/O 2016: Every Android app – really – is coming to Chrome
- Zip! Pow! Google debuts Android Instant Apps that load without installation
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCTechnical WriterACT
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- FTAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- CCChange Manager- Success Factors/HCMNSW
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Systems AnalystQLD
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- FTSenior Full-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTTechnical Team Lead - .Net / SharePointACT
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW