Sony Ericsson K660i
- Sleek and stylish design, HSDPA-capable, Internet shortcut keys, included M2 card for storage
- No real outstanding features, display too small for Web browsing
The K660i's Web shortcut keys are a nice touch. It's a solid but far from outstanding handset.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
A low- to mid-range handset clearly aimed at younger buyers, Sony Ericsson's K660i is a solid but far from outstanding mobile phone. Its Web browsing features and HSDPA network speeds are nice, but this isn't really a handset you'd expect to use for frequent mobile Web browsing.
In terms of design, the K660i is sleek and stylish. A nice touch is the chrome surround combined with the glossy black finish on the front and rear of the unit. Although the K660i is quite light, it feels relatively well built and definitely capable of taking a few knocks.
Although we aren't fond of the round keypad buttons, they do a decent job and we managed to achieve relatively quick messaging speeds. The K660i would have been best served with regular square buttons, as those with large hands may have trouble pressing the correct keys. A five-way navigational pad just below the display does the rest of the work, along with two selection buttons and shortcut and clear keys. Unfortunately, the answer and end call keys are tiny and squashed towards the edge of the handset.
Sony Ericsson has touted the K660i as being ideal for mobile Web browsing, but, given its small display, we disagree. It does, however, have a row of Internet shortcut keys (buttons 3, 6, 9 and #) that are quite handy. These include Google search, bookmarks, a programmable shortcut key (Planet 3 if you are on the 3 Mobile network) and a pan-and-zoom function. In the end though, such a small display simply isn't ideal for Web browsing.
Aside from the mobile browsing features, the K660i is hardly noteworthy. There is a 2-megapixel camera on the rear that doubles as a video recorder, but ,with no flash or auto-focus, photos produced aren't good enough for anything more than a few wallpaper snaps.
A photo viewer, music player and video player handle multimedia functions. The K660i also features an FM radio. The handset utilises the same multimedia interface as the Walkman range of handsets, which is a nice touch. Unfortunately, there is no 3.5mm headphone jack—a shame as the included ear buds are low quality.
Sony Ericsson's excellent TrackID feature is present. This allows you to record a few seconds of any song using the external microphone. The recording is then sent to a music database and, if the song is recognised, the title, album and artist name are sent to you. The K660i also features A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), which enables you to wirelessly stream your music to a compatible pair of Bluetooth headphones.
Being HSDPA capable, the K660i supports the UMTS 2100MHz band, along with quad-band GSM and EDGE. 30MB of internal memory is standard, but a 256MB Memory Stick Micro (M2) is included.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 5 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Industry can head off IoT privacy rules, former US official says
- Microsoft discloses zero-day flaw, publishes quick fix
- Order the OnePlus One from Australia
- Yahoo squeezes out some growth
- Ford wants to keep drivers alert on the long road to autonomous cars
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW