Sony Ericsson HCB-150
The HCB-150 Bluetooth speakerphone offers dual speakers and an OLED display.
- Dual speakers, text-to-speech, OLED display, good sound quality
- Steep price, a little large, phone book feature requires a Sony Ericsson phone
Sony Ericsson's HCB-150 offers above average sound quality and features an OLED display, but it’s a little pricey.
Price$ 279.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's HCB-150 Bluetooth speakerphone may command a steep price but it offers plenty of features. It has dual speakers, text-to-speech technology and an OLED display that shows incoming caller information.
Slightly larger than many competing models on the market, the Sony Ericsson HCB-150 uses a combination of gloss and matte black plastic, with silver edging and a mesh speaker grille. Like most similar devices it uses a metal clip to attach to a car's sun visor, though it can just as easily be used in an office environment.
The controls are fairly straightforward. A dedicated Bluetooth button switches between five available slots for mobile phones to be connected, a call list button accesses recently dialled calls (or your phonebook), answer and end call keys handle incoming calls and a scroll wheel adjusts volume. Once paired with a phone you can make and receive calls, use voice dialling (if your phone supports it), redial recent calls and mute the microphone.
The OLED display helps things along nicely and displays incoming caller ID information. Conveniently, the screen automatically rotates when you flip the unit, so you can position it in a number of ways. If you have a Sony Ericsson phone the HCB-150 will automatically synchronise your phonebook and display contact names on the screen. Unfortunately this feature doesn't work with phones from other companies, though the HCB-150 will still display phone numbers. The unit reads aloud names and numbers as well as displaying them on the screen. Pronunciation is generally pleasing, though it can struggle with some names.
Sound quality is excellent. The Sony Ericsson HCB-150 utilises dual speakers and incoming volume is among the loudest we have heard on a speakerphone. Our callers were also pleased with outgoing audio quality, though wind noise can be an issue. For best results we'd advise you to close the driver's side window while on the phone; this is the case for most speakerphones not just the HCB-150.
According to Sony Ericsson, the HCB-150 has an impressive battery life. It's rated at up to 25 hours of talk time and 700 hours of standby time. The unit is charged via the included proprietary car charger. Importantly, the device automatically turns off after 10 minutes without a connection, saving battery life.
Although the HCB-150 is definitely an above average speakerphone, its price is far too steep. For this money you can start to look into a dedicated Bluetooth car kit.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- What iOS 10 can tell us about the new iPhone
- Rumor check: Everything we think we know about the Galaxy Note 7
- Windows 10 phones finally gain NFC payment support as Wallet 2.0 rolls out in preview
- Moto Mods for the Moto Z won't be cheap, with costs ranging from US$69 to US$299
- This custom-built case lets Android run on an iPhone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCMicrosoft .NET Developer (Server and Applications)SA
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCSystem Engineer (DevOps)WA
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCProject Manager - IT SecurityNSW
- CCApplication Support Analyst and Database AdministratorVIC
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCSAP Business Analyst - FinanceNSW
- CCTenable Security - Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer - C# FocusNSW
- FTContent Manager - Migration projectNSW
- CCService Desk ConsultantVIC
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCIT Change Coordinator / AnalystNSW
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW