Sony Ericsson HCB-105
Sony Ericsson's new Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone provides good mobile phone call quality.
- Clean, easy to use design, good sound quality
- Wind noise can be an audio issue, fluctuating outgoing audio
The Sony Ericsson HCB-105 does not offer anything new or groundbreaking, but remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a competent speakerphone.
Price$ 95.00 (AUD)
Sony Ericsson's latest Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone is a basic unit that possesses good sound quality and excellent battery life. The HCB-105 does not offer any groundbreaking features, but it remains an ideal choice if you are looking for a well performing speakerphone.
The HCB-105 is slim and rather long device with a fairly minimalist design. It has a dark grey finish that has been selected to match the décor of most modern cars. The included visor clip is suited for in car use, but it can also act as a desk stand if you want to use this device in an office environment.
The controls are very straightforward to use. The HCB-105 includes just three buttons; volume up and down keys, as well as an answer/end call key and dedicated power button that are combined into one multifunction key. An indicator light sits between these controls, denoting the different functions of the unit, including when it is in pairing mode or is connected to a mobile phone.
Once paired, the HCB-105 functions much like a standard Bluetooth headset. Mobile phone calls can be answered or rejected by pressing the multifunction button, while pressing the button twice redials the last number called. You can also transfer the sound from your phone to the speakerphone or vice versa by simply pressing the multifunction button while on a call. Other functions include voice dialling (if supported by your mobile phone) and the ability to mute the microphone while on a call.
Sound quality is above average, although not outstanding. We found the best results were obtained when the driver side window in our car was closed — wind noise is an audio issue when the window is open. Our callers sometimes complained about the lack of volume in our voice, although this was not a regular occurrence in testing.
According to Sony Ericsson, the HCB-105 has an impressive battery life, rated at up to 25 hours of talk time and 700 hours of standby time. The unit is charged via the included proprietary car charger. Importantly, the device automatically turns off after 10 minutes without a connection, thereby saving battery life.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia Lumia 830 review: Punching above its weight
- 2 BlackBerry Passport review: A smartphone going nowhere
- 3 Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A flagship at 4.6-inches
- 4 Bose QuietComfort 25 review: A traveller's companion
- 5 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- FCC's Wheeler said to mull hybrid approach to net neutrality
- Google project aims to preserve privacy when collecting software stats
- Oppo R5: World's thinnest phone at 4.85mm coming to Australia
- Major banks ready their own mobile payment apps
- Android creator Andy Rubin leaving Google
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC